handmade decanter, antique?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by F&C, Mar 2, 2021.

1. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

i have this simple handmade decanter, was wondering if anyone could tell if it was an antique? $_57 (28).jpg $_57 (29).jpg $_57 (30).jpg

TraceyB likes this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like it, the green tint and form of the stopper are generally post war, so it is most likely somewhere between 1950's and 1970's although could be even newer. Years ago you used to get decanters like this full of bubble bath and bath salts too.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    TraceyB, Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

4. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

It doesn't really have a green tint over here it might just be your screen, but glass is still glass all the same

TraceyB likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I see green also :(

TraceyB likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Me too.

TraceyB likes this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Rather than the body having a green tint, we mean when you look edge on through the thick parts like the base there is a slight green hue. This is typical of pieces made from window glass that miss out cancelling agents like manganese in a bid to save costs. You don't notice the tint in window glass as you only ever look through the thinnest section. It's also one of the hints that a piece isn't antique as many low cost glass items were made like this in the later 20th century. There are exceptions of course, but the style of your item suggests it is post war.

TraceyB likes this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Here's an example of a typical late 19th century decanter, notice the attention to detail in the construction despite it being at the lower end of the market for the period. Notice also you can see a bit of magenta in the neck rim where the stopper goes through - due to too much manganese (used to cancel the green tone in glass).

2177 dimple decanter (1 of 5).jpg

komokwa and TraceyB like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The OP's decanter looks like something from Pier One or Homegoods or the like. Pretty but not crazy money.

TraceyB likes this.
  10. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

Interesting, a simple rustic decanter like that probably wouldn't have survived that time anyway but something about the glass quality made me think of the cruciform style decanters

TraceyB likes this.
  11. F&C

F&C Well-Known Member

I did find it along with a genuine 1800s claret jug, I'll have to check out pier one and homegoods sometime

TraceyB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted