Hand Thrown Redware 3 Handle Vase Signed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kraftblue, Jul 7, 2024.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Anyone know studio pottery? EPS Signed Redware. 7" tall.

brown1.jpg brown2.jpg brown4.jpg brown3.jpg brown5.jpg

2. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

Well, you know this might be a tough one it looks like pottery you find in just about every school ceramics studio, it is a basic cylinder shape and the handles are pulled in a style taught in most schools and communal private studios. The signature also looks un practiced signed with a needle tool commonly used by new students. Most potters who have been doing this for a while develop a more flowing mark using a tool with a broader rounded point like a dull pencil that gives a more refined look.

3. Desertau

Something like this, he’s been doing this over 50 years. IMG_2024-07-07-121849.jpeg

4. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Thanks Desertau

5. Desertau

When I started ceramics in the early70’s most everyone was doing high fire or Raku with some other firing techniques that were less common like pit firing. Gas was the preferred fuel for the visual affect on glazes as most gas kilns have some degree of variability in the kiln atmosphere depending on how it’s loaded and fired. Electric kilns were reserved for bisque firing and special low fire decorations or where a gas kiln was impractical. As glazes developed that produce more interesting effects in neutral atmosphere firing more studios switched to electric and many home studios for the ease of setup and lower installation expense. Electric kilns are now very popular due to the advances in low cost computerized controllers that allow programming complicated firing schedules some with very specific for the production of crystalline glazes that are difficult or impossible to reproduce manually, they require a lot of ramps at specific temperatures and exact soaking times. Computer controllers allow setting it and forget about it until the kiln cools and is ready to unload and one button for many other preprogrammed firings.

I’m not sure exactly when but mid fire became popular due to lower energy cost firing and because it is much easier to fire that heat range. High fire is cone 9/12 but cone 9/10 being the most frequently used high fire range 2300-2400f roughly but cone firing is more about work heat than temperature. Mid fire usually is cone 5/6 2000-2200 roughly depending on the firing schedule, more time longer firing more work heat lower actual temperature. You can tell mid fire from high fire by the sound made tapping the rim, high fire has a high pitched ring due to the clay body being vitrified mid fire has a duller sound because the clay is not usually completely vitrified.

6. Desertau

One famous artist I think you could find in a thrift shop if really lucky is Peter Voulkos, his work was anti establishment and might not be recognized. Arneson, Voulkos, Karoka, Baily, Frimkis, Saunders, Middlebrook and Soldner were all big names back when I started any of their work would be priceless. I’ve been lucky enough to know a few of them and a host of others… there a long list of artists to look for you just need a little luck

Draft saved Draft deleted