hand painted Italian dish - flowers

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tinytim, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

Hi All,
    I have this dish which has been with us for over 40 years. As you can see it has had its fair share of rough handling.

Just wanted to know is this something unique/collectible. From what i could make out it is a display dish. I can think of any use for it, given its swirly design. We used to use it to store fruits at one point of time.

At the back it is written "hand painted Italy". it has some 5 dots into the porcelain. It also has which you can see in the last 2 pictures 2 holes running through the stand. I could not think why it would be there. it measures 12" in diameter.

Happy to answer any further questions.
    IMG_0349.JPG IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0352.JPG

judy and kyratango like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Holes are there so you could wall hang it.

3. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

The style and decoration indicates that your dish was most likely produced in, or near, Bassano, Italy. The term “Hand Painted” came into use after World War II (1945) and became popular in the 1950’s. It was used as an advertising gimmick claiming that “Hand Painted” was more valuable than commercially mass produced items. Before the War virtually all Italian pottery was hand painted.
    Your plate holds very little interest to collectors.It is, however, an attractive wall decoration.

komokwa, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. Tinytim

Tinytim Active Member

Thank you bear - I can now see that the holes make sense to hang on the wall.
    Thank you Walter. We will continue to use it as a fruit bowl. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted