Hand Painted 16 1/4" Ceramic Charger Dated 1574

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Thrifster, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

I purchased this hand painted 16 1/4" charger dated 1574 at the thirft store today. I looked all over for one with the crest or coat of arms pattern without finding anything in my search results.

Does anyone know this pattern or what the date 1574 is in reference to or where and when it might have been made? There are no maker marks on the bottom of the charger. Thanks in advance for any information.

HPIM6814.JPG

HPIM6815.JPG HPIM6820.JPG

HPIM6821.JPG
    HPIM6822.JPG
    HPIM6825.JPG
    HPIM6827.JPG
    HPIM6828.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's Italian and obviously meant to be hung so decorative rather than functional. Appears to be newish as well.

Debora

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

I can almost agree with all of Debora’s assessment except that while the design was meant to emulate an Italian design it most likely was not made in Italy. If it had been of Italian origin the numbers would have been written differently. The one would appear as sort of inverted “v” and the seven would have slanted line through the upright.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It was cheeky of me to even weigh in on an Italian ceramic knowing of your presence on the forum. Thank you for the gentle correction.

Debora

5. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

Thank you for the comment Debora but please never let me intimidate you or prevent you from offering your opinions or observations.. My limited knowledge of Italian pottery does not make me an “expert” and quite often I been hoisted by my own petard which has often given me cause to apologize for a wrong assessment or incorrect identification.

judy, komokwa, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  6. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

Thanks Debora and Walter for your replies, I do appreciate them. Thanks again.

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& what an elegantly humble petard that is !!! :happy::happy::happy:...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..:playful:

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted