Hand blown glassware from Harvard’s Museum of Comparative Zoology

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CBri, Nov 22, 2018.

1. CBri

CBri Member

I have a piece of science related glassware from the 1800s that is associated with the Harvard Museum and Louis Agassiz. I have a signed COA for my numbered piece from the museum. I estimate the piece to be at least 150 years old. I’ve had it for many years. How’s the market for science glassware like this?

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

For plain glassware it is pretty crappy. Most collectors go for labelled/named/gilded fancy ones and pay top dollar for those in great condition. Plain ones usually get bundled at auctions and don't sell for much.
    Cheers
    Stephen

judy and kyratango like this.
  3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

That photo does not look 150 years old. Do you have any supporting material?

judy likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Size? As noted above, plain bottles don't sell for much but size does matter.

judy likes this.
  5. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

The Photo was taken with a Modern Flash. Last 40 yrs or so.

6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The COA certificate of authenticity just registered. How about a scan as those typically mean within the last 50-60 years saying it is an authentic reproduction/copy of an original.

7. CBri

CBri Member

Thanks all. I am out of my element on this one. The COA photo won’t upload as the file is too big to load according to an error message (sorry) but the COA comes with an article about the collection which I believe was sold off in the late 60s and into the 70s. The COA was signed by the curator of the collection at the museum and is dated 1977. The piece is numbered as well. It measures about 8 1/2” high with the topper on it and is about 3” across the bottom. I know COAs may not always mean anything. The plain comment is helpful and this is by no means a fancy piece.

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Email the photo to yourself in medium format. That should solve the size problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted