Hammered Copper 9-Petaled Bowl, Unmarked: A One-Off?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, Aug 15, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I've always been fascinated with things circular, especially those with odd numbers of panels, lobes, petals an' etc. That fascination drove quite a collection over the last 5 decades or so, an' I still love these things for that 'oddness' if for little else. This is one of the better examples of my acquisitive lust. It's almost 6 3/4" wide, ~2 1/4" high, with a ~2 1/2" lightly suggested bottom, which in the last pic seems to be concave but is actually pretty flat. It weighs 6 3/4 ounces; the copper sheet is ~0.040" thick, near as I can measure.
    The hammering (from the interior) is quite uniform overall, an' I am impressed by the artisan's skill in defining the petal edges as curves. The whole thing is a delight to look at, an' especially in the hand; the upper rim has no sharp edges. The only issue I have is that the interior is fairly heavily soiled, an' I don't wish to scour it clean, with a 'bright' interior result. I'll live with the soil, I think.
    Do y'all think this is a student's project? Or might it be a studio offering...but if so, why oh why is it unsigned? I so desperately wanna know whodunnit! Thanks for lookin'!

P1420309.jpeg P1420310.jpeg P1420312.jpeg P1420313.jpeg P1420311.jpeg

sabre123, komokwa and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think probably Mexican. Lots of similar work coming from there in the past 30 years.

3. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Sure enough, Brad...an eBay search for 'Mexican hammered copper' brings up dozens of items, some of them much finer than my simple bowl...Thanks!

komokwa and verybrad like this.