Hallmark ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Aug 28, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Another thing that isn’t mine but trying to figure out the hallmark and not succeeding was annoying me. Can anyone help? I thought Austrian at first but didn’t find it. Then I figured somewhere else in Northern Europe. The ring it’s on was metal detected Sweden. That last bit wasn’t made known to me until after I had theorized it was likely a Northern Europe hallmark. So if it turns out it is, then yay for me. If it’s not then boo for me!

The hallmark btw look like the backside of a cow to me. What it actually is I couldn’t say.

I’ve assumed it’s gold as it looks to be but I suppose it could be gilt. 15A8EC18-170D-44DE-8E8F-27E0D91A3AE7.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Always show the item itself please.

J Dagger likes this.
  3. shamster

shamster Well-Known Member

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

@DragonflyWink Is this that same fox head mark that came up in connection with the locket brooch?

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It is - Austro-Hungarian 'Fuchskopf' (fox head) mark, 4th standard (14 karat), assayed in Vienna, in use from 1872 to 1922 (the 'A' indicates Vienna).

Here's an image with a bit more detail, perhaps clearing up the "backside of a cow" confusion:

austro-hungarian-fox-head-14k-vienna-1867-1922.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Thank you. Now I'll be aware & less likely to confuse it with French marks.

J Dagger likes this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! Funny, even when you know what you’re looking for that is not a super easy mark to find out much about. Also funny how you can look at something lengthily and not see what it’s meant to be. Then as soon as you know what it’s supposed to be it makes so much sense. Not that I’d have been able to distinguish which canine it was but the outline seems quite clear as a canine now.

komokwa and DragonflyWink like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted