H Alken Prints

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Walter, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Walter

Walter New Member

Hi, Does anyone have any information about the following H Alken prints please:

Going to the meets

Drawing Corners

Part 5 & 6 of Fores’s Hunting Casualties.

Unfortunately I can't upload the pics , files are too big no matter what I try :( I've added an album with them though.

They are all in good condition, a little aged but still very nice colours.

While I found a few examples of Hunting Casualties online, I have only been able to find one ‘Going to the meets’ and ‘Drawing Corners’ which are very expensive as they are described as hand painted, rare and pulled before print.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Hi Walter, Welcome.

I reduced the size of the pictures for you.
    Its best if you download some free picture editing software for the future.

DSC_0560 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0568.JPG
    DSC_0575.JPG

DSC_0578.JPG

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello, Walter, welcome to our merry band of hunters of a different kind.

Not sure what additional info specific to those prints you are seeking. You can pick up things about Alken & his prints from past auction descriptions.

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Don't know what terms you have been using to search, but if the same as the titles you have given us, I can see why your success would be limited.

First two are Going to the Meet & Drawing Cover. (There appears to be a different one called Drawing the Cover.)

This advertisement in Guide to the Turf lists a number of Fores's works, including Hunting Casualties, That May Occur With Hounds, & the prices for them in 1850.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Any images need to be UNDER 1 MB to upload to this site!!! Plenty of free Re-sizing software out there!!!

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The first one, "Going to the Meet," is different from another with the same title that I've seen online.

The "Going to the Meet" that you have appears to be cut out of a sheet with four prints called "Fores's Sporting Scraps, Plate 2. Hunting." See full plate here:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=13340992531&searchurl=sortby=17&an=alken+henry+thomas+1785+1851+after&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title2

Because it's cut I think it probably has less value.

Oh, and I just noticed that the link I included above said it is "After" Henry Alken. The listing on Abebooks is from a very well-known bookseller and print seller that even I have heard of!

Draft saved Draft deleted