Featured Gyrating Shadow Lantern

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Snowman Cometh, Jul 22, 2024.

1. Snowman Cometh

Snowman Cometh Well-Known Member

Months ago I rented the 1926 silent movie "The Adventures of Prince Achmed". It's one of the first (if not the first) full length animated feature. Only it's not drawn, it was scizzor cuttings. This movie was made by Lotte Reiniger, and besides the two men that helped with filming, she did all the cuttings herself. I'm pretty sure they said it took 3 years. That's the same amount of time it took Disney to create Snow White, only he had a slew of animators working for him. If you haven't seen Prince Achmed, it's well worth the effort to see it. There's quite a few good versions on youtube.

What does the movie have to do with Gyrating Shadow Lantern? It's basically a pyramid toy from the late 1800s (I've seen 1875 - 1879) that casts shadows of the figures on the pyramid onto 4 different screens that you place around it. Very similar to Prince Achmed.

I don't usually pay a lot for anything. But, when I saw this set up in the antique store cabinet, I wanted it, immediately. I talked them down a hundred, and it was still expensive. I'd never seen one before, and while it didn't sell at auction, a German auction house had the starting bid at $2500. I paid a fraction of that.

These are a few photos of it. If I don't put the screen fully around it, it spins. Once the screen is fully in place it stops. It must have to do with air flow.

It's just so COOL!
    upload_2024-7-22_15-32-36.jpeg
    upload_2024-7-22_15-32-58.jpeg
    upload_2024-7-22_15-33-24.jpeg
    I have to try and make a decent video, once I find out how to position the screen so it continues to spin.

kentworld, mirana, bosko69 and 9 others like this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Amazing! I love it

Can't wait to see the vid

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

What a marvelous thing. Items like this are why we get into antiques!

mirana, Aquitaine, Marote and 2 others like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

OMG, what a fabulous item @Snowman Cometh, great score for you (I'm so jealous). I saw one many years ago and passed on it as the price was high, I've regretted it ever since. Can't wait to see the video:)

aaroncab, mirana, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the "shadow caster" on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Snowman Cometh likes this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Wow! Incredibly cool. If you manage to make a video we would love to see it! :singing:

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Incredible-That type of wonderful piece is why I also got into antiquing !

8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I would like to see a video, too!

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted