Green Toothpick w/Flowers and Leaves - Who Made it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I seem to have acquired the beginnings of a "toothpick holder" collection. :shame: I got this one at the same thrift as the Imperial slag glass one I posted on Finds. It doesn't have anything I recognize as a maker's mark, but while browsing eBay's Imperial listings to see if I could find one I left on the shelf because of a chip in the foot, I found one like this identified as Imperial Sunflower in a blue color. Other than color, it's just like this one, but is the seller correct? There is no GI inside.

Unknown Maker Green Embossed Flowers From Outside.jpg

Unknown Maker Green Embossed From Inside.jpg

Unknown Maker Green Embossed Flowers Bottom.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Actually I think that might be a votive candle holder. Will check around and see what I can find. Pretty sure it's not Imperial.
    Don

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Thanks Don. Another that I picked up yesterday did turn out to be a votive holder by Libbey that someone did a very interesting decoration job on.

Libbey Toothpick -maybe - Overall.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The shape of both does look like what I think of as a votive candle holder.

I like the color and pattern on the green one, and agree that the other one is interesting.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Well, I just tried two different diameters of votives and they are both too big to fit into the bottom of the green one. They get hung up on the sides and won't sit flat. The inside opening is about 1.25 inches at the base.

EDIT: There's a flare to the sides that doesn't show well in the pics. True, not as much as the slag glass one (which is even narrower at the bottom) but still...

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

and here I am, reading the title of the thread and thinking "Wow! More miniature work! Painting or carving? On a toothpick! I gotta see THAT!"

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  7. Bakersgma

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Thanks for that total laugh out loud experience!

In fact, I am still laughing! Ya got me!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sometimes these products were sold already full of wax so the shape didn't matter too much.
    Don

Bakersgma and KingofThings like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Thanks, Don. I did see one on eBay with the Country Store Products marking, but mine doesn't have that. So does that mean it's older or newer?

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's a pure guess but I would say newer. The bottom on yours looks safer (less likely to burn a surface). It's possible they re-tooled the mold or someone else bought the patent and redesigned it. And unfortunately we still don't know who manufactured it for country store products. I'm afraid we have even more questions than when we started!
    Don

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a candy dish in that same green and similar design that my mother picked up at a gift shop in the 70s. I should say had. I'm pretty sure it went into one of our yard sales.

Draft saved Draft deleted