Green pressed glass vase, MCM?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kelly M., Sep 6, 2021.

1. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Member

662A8502-798A-4223-A344-0EF78237A1FD.jpeg Anyone know the maker of this vase? It’s very thick and heavy. There was residue for a small square sticker on the side.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2021
    DizzyDaff likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Take at look at Sklo.

Kelly M. and DizzyDaff like this.
  3. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Member

It does look similar to those. The bottom on mine isn't as refined, other's have a foot. Thanks for the tip!

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd agree it's Czech and one of the Sklo Union makers.

5. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Member

Yes, I've been looking through a lot of sites with Sklo work this morning and it definitely has that feel. I can't find anything exactly close and it seems many of the books on this union art out of print. I'm definitely going to look for more of these pieces! Thanks!

6. Ownedbybear

If you're on Facebook, there's a decent Sklo group.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I do have the book Hi Sklo Lo Sklo but I don't see your exact vase in there. Some similar but not this one.

Here are examples from the book of some different labels that have been used over the years just in case the residue has some real shape to it enough to tell. Also, below, some good websites if you haven't been there yet.
    20210907_134514.jpg

Also two websites if you haven't tried them. The cs-sklo site has lots of catalogs that can keep you busy for hours.

https://www.cs-sklo.cz/#

https://www.sklo-union.eu/

Kelly M. and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I've got the CD that came with the Art before Union book somewhere. If I find it, I then need to find a laptop with a CD player.....!

9. Kelly M.

Kelly M. Member

Thank you the website links. These works are becoming my favorites! I will keep an eye out for some books, someone might sell one. The adhesive residue on my vase looks like the shape of the Skrdlovice label. I'm really starting to understand how important it is too keep those on items, I usually peel and chuck. Now if I peel from the side, I will put on the bottom.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I had a thrift store vase I felt sure must be Sklo but it took years of looking now and again until I found it on the Sklo-Union website as a Miroslav Kubinec piece. I like globby glass.

Hopefully you'll find yours:)

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's my understanding that Sklo was not a specific manufacturer but a group of makers involved in a common marketing association, and there were manufacturers in other countries and outside that organization that manufactured glass in a similar mid-century idiom.

12. Ownedbybear

That's correct, Sklo - means glass - Union was the Soviet era common umbrella organisation. However, it's possible to identify specific designers and factories. Also true that glass makers "copied" each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted