Green leather top table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bluemoon, Dec 2, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

The table is small and I wonder how old it is. I saw it at a charity shop moments ago.

Screenshot_2016-12-02-17-40-49.png Screenshot_2016-12-02-17-41-00.png Screenshot_2016-12-02-17-41-05.png Screenshot_2016-12-02-17-41-08.png
    Screenshot_2016-12-02-17-53-07.png
    2016-12-02 17.48.17.png
    Screenshot_2016-12-02-17-50-47.png

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

That's one high asking price for a reproduction.

The charity shop one is obviously in much worse shape but even though it cost about 80$, I wouldn't buy it if it's that new.
    The green leather is so pretty though..

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This could be as early as the 40's but they were made for a lot of years. At $80.00, it is way out of line price-wise. I couldn't get that at retail in tip-top shape. Usually can pick up mahogany tables in this styling for under $25.00. The drop-leaves and lyre sided trestle base are a bit different but that torn/missing leather would absolutely kill it.

Messilane likes this.
  5. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I believe that.
    Anyway, I wonder what all those sky-high eBay prices are about? Did you see the one @say_it_slowly shared?

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I did not. That is crazy. :wacky: I haven't quite figured out what some of the ebay furniture sellers are doing. It just seems to be fishing for that big catch of someone looking for just the right item, in perfect condition, willing to be shipped to them, regardless of price. If you look at completed auctions, sales are few and far between but they do sell some of the items.

This seller currently has 290 items listed and show 17 sales in completed. All were best offer accepted. Not all were high priced furniture but a good number were. They have a lot of watchers on their items so seem to generate some interest at least. Can't say it is a horrible business model. They are obviously making crazy profit on their items.

I would have to slap some paint on this table and offer it under $50.00 to be able to sell it. I am sure that you can find similar merchandise on ebay going begging or selling low. Value is dependent on market and even the same venue can have different markets within.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  7. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

The side effect can be people / charity shops looking up stuff they have, thinking "this is worth this much" because of some crazy high eBay price.

say_it_slowly and verybrad like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    What is the longer toes on the lions paws?
    greg

9. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Do you mean the little wheel the legs have?

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like casters - see the one sticking out sideways on the lefthand leg in the first picture?

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bakers,
    Thanks it was making me think I was nuts.
    greg

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u r......but we don't mind ! :happy::happy:

gregsglass likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

1950s. Salvation Army are mad to put that much on it, it's ten quid.

Draft saved Draft deleted