Green Jade Beads Necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 28, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Can someone tell if the beads are good quality or not?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're nice glass beads. I see air bubbles.

3. kardinalisimo

Could be glass but I am not finding any air bubbles. Must be the tiny debris or lint on the surface showing on the photos. There are white and shades of green inclusions.
    Here is a picture of a chip. Don't know if you can tell by it if it is a glass or stone.
    [​IMG]

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell online, but from what I can see in the pictures, the beads look more like stone than glass to me. The fact that they're on a knotted cord lends a little credence to that, too. I don't know what type of stone, though.

The findings don't look like expensive ones, so it may have been a relatively inexpensive piece to begin with.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Kard, I'm not sure what you were saying? My point was that necklaces with stone beads have a knot between each bead much more often than necklaces with glass beads.

The cords in beaded necklaces are very prone to breaking, so more expensive beads like semi-precious stones and pearls are usually strung on a thicker cord, often silk, with a knot placed between each bead. That way, if the cord does break, the beads are less likely to be lost.

At least in more recent beaded necklaces, in my experience the quality of the clasp usually does relate to the quality of the beads.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  7. kardinalisimo

My bad. I misread the part about the knots.
    I agree about the clasps. But there are quite a few exeptions. Good quality and precious metals are usually used on good quality and precious necklaces but you never know what you can find on a simple and cheap clasp.
    Then you can have a gold clasp but nothing special on it.
    If I decide to sell it, the Chinese buyers will know better if it is junk or something more.
    I don't know if you remember my post about the Chinese papier mache box with white jade carved medalion. Bought it cheap, started low and getting $100 would have made me happy. It sold for 2k.

Figtree3 and Pat P like this.
  8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a great result! :)

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I hand knot glass beads all the time when I'm restringing stuff. It's done with glass pearls and real cultured ones. I'd get these to someone who'd really know; they could be jade of one sort of the other, and could be jade that's been monkeyed with. Not aventurine, any which way.

10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I do see marbling,swirls,chip on the last pic but hard to tell if green quartz?

Draft saved Draft deleted