Green banded pottery mixing bowls

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by SeaGoat, Sep 24, 2016.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Ive been working setting up and estate sale for the last 3 weeks. It was PACKED full of things.

One of the things I liked was a set of 5 mixing bowls.

Over the last 3 days of the sale no one even asked about them, so I bought them after the sale was over.

It was late when I got home today so I couldnt get pictures of my set.
    My limited search on the internet only turned up one like them.
    http://www.laurelleaffarm.com/item-pages/kitchen&table/old-green-banded-mixing-bowl.htm

A couple of my bowls have cracks all the way through and one is completely discolored, even after a soapy wash. Im hoping Ill find a solution that will clean it.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone recognized them or could help me date them.
    On the bottem it reads
    Oven Proof
    USA
    D-1-(size)

2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I have a small bowl just like the one shown on the linked page. I got it in an box lot at an estate auction. I've searched a bit and have found a few similar examples on Etsy and Ruby Lane but the seller's there didn't make note of an maker.

RRP Co. and Watt seem to have similar wares but I can't find an exact match (yet). Another possibility would be McCoy.

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

4. SeaGoat

Heres my set.
    I tried to get the bottom readable.

Any tips on cleaning the stained bowl?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Calico

Calico Well-Known Member

Probably McCoy.

jackolin likes this.
  6. SeaGoat

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Seagoat.....Since no one has responded with a cleaning solution, I have been using this one for many years. It came from Gordon (forget his ID)who was a very frequent poster on the original ebay Pottery board.

He used a hair bleaching solution found at hair/beauty supply houses.

It comes in two forms.....one being a creamy solution which I like because it's easier to apply. He always recommended to put the item in a warm place....(I use my pilot lit oven). It's not necessary to do that, but it helps with speeding up the process. After applying the solution to all areas of discoloration, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit.......sometimes it will take several days, but you will see progress.

This solution comes in a large size and is very reasonably priced. I think I paid under $10.00.

The produce I have is by Tressa and is called Processing cream. it's 40 volume, 32 fl. oz.

I have had this bottle for a couple of years.

It recently removed red wine from a white tablecloth, and is also a great solution for cleaning tile/tub in the bathroom.

I know Carl Spoonamore uses/used this solution too.

Others in the know do not recommend using regular chlorine bleach as it's thought to damage the surface in time.

SeaGoat likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Peroxide is probably the base for the bleaching solution and not chlorine bleach.

Many have recommended peroxide from beauty salons. I just use the peroxide from the pharmacy. I either soak an item in it. Or as in your case, I would paint it on and let it sit. Maybe reapplying several times as needed.

Wrapping it in plastic and setting in the sun might actually speed up the process. Not a bad idea.

*crs* and SeaGoat like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

Oh and Never Ever use bleach to get stains out of porcelain. I have actually taken the pattern out of a piece by using that.

*crs* and SeaGoat like this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Chlorine bleach will also cause a piece to "dissolve" from the inside out - it causes that white crust the bleeds from cracks and crazing. There is a way to stop it but I think it takes a lot of work.

SeaGoat likes this.
  11. SeaGoat

Thanks! I've seen the peroxide info on the net but no one said they'd tried it. I was afraid for the green bands.
    It won't fade them will it?

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have never found it to fade colors, but maybe you could try just a dab on the green if you are leery.

Can you find peroxide at the pharmacy in such high volume? I buy it there but I think it's only 2% volume.

14. SeaGoat

The stuff i have in my cabinet is 3%.
    Use baking soda as a paste?

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Try it................:shame:

SeaGoat likes this.
  17. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

If you use the beauty shop stuff make sure you wear rubber gloves & clothes you don't care if they get ruined. If you splash it on your skin rinse it off immediately or it will start burning like crazy. If you splash it on your clothes plan on having a white spot there, but again do not let it come in contact with your skin.

I used a large plastic tote with a cover when I did some pieces. Just put the piece in & cover it if it is small or paint it on as suggested above. Replace the cover, make sure it is tightly on & put it somewhere out the way.

Peggy

18. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

Definitely don't use chlorine bleach. It shouldn't fade the green band, the pigment is baked on on it. Pattern fading could happen with decals.

After you get the discoloration out with peroxide, soak it to get the peroxide out. Due to the cracks in the glaze, you may see some discoloration until the underlying pottery drys out.

19. clutteredcloset49

I've never had a problem with fading. But I don't use the beauty salon strength. I use the 3% from the pharmacy. After the stain has receded, all I do is wash with soap and water.

No. I use the low strength and it does work. Just maybe not as fast.

20. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

A less expensive version of the peroxide bath is powdered Oxiclean diluted in warm water in a plastic tub. If everything didn't come out on the first soaking, I make a fresh batch and soak again. For really tough stains, I used the cream peroxide from the Beauty Supply. I put it on a damp paper towel an place it on specific areas. Since you have overall staining, I would soak them first in a peroxide or Oxiclean bath and then use the cream bleach on any left over stubborn stains. When everything looks clean, I let it soak in a water bath for a several hours to make sure all the peroxide and oxi is gone.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted