Featured Green and Gold Glass and Coalport Bone China Demitasse Cups

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 30, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

A bit of glass and a bit of china for you to look at. The first is a gold and flower painted, green glass demitasse cup and saucer. I see some wild attributions on the internet, so I came here for some sensible information. Some say antique Moser and others, Murano Venezia. They sell a lot of cups and saucers where I shop, so I have had to pick very carefully before I buy. This attracted me because of the intense shade of green glass and the thickly applied gold and colored paint. Anybody have any definitive information to share?

IMG_4542.JPG IMG_4539.JPG IMG_4540.JPG IMG_4543.JPG

The second is just a confirmation of my research. The mark on this Coalport Bone China cup has the crown without the England. This mark appears to be from 1881-1891 - right?

IMG_4533.JPG IMG_4538.JPG IMG_4537.JPG IMG_4536.JPG IMG_4535.JPG

judy, Chinoiserie, TallCakes and 3 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’m inclined to bohemian on the glass set. The colour is typical as is that very thick gilding and the high relief flowers. The lattice and pattern too. Might be fifties but it might also be thirties that’s survived well.

I think you’re about right on the pretty Coalport.

judy, Chinoiserie, kentworld and 4 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Terrific! This went right into my collection, as I love the colors. Any possibility it is Moser or is that a stretch?
    I collected the Coalport because I really loved the shape, but I am thrilled at the age. Excellent condition. Thank you.

judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oooh! I love the Coalport for the same reasons, the shape and the decoration, just lovely.

judy, Chinoiserie and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A lot of these get attributed to Moser, but there were so many factories producing them.

6. KikoBlueEyes

Beautiful condition for something almost a century and a half old. I had to get it.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks. As I said they were a lot of wild attributions about there. It's a lovely thing - already in my main display case. I appreciate your opinion.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am just throwing this out there but definitely not sure.
    The decoration reminds me some of the glassware we bought in Italy during the late 70's or early 80's.
    For the first one you show.

9. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

The bohemian glass cup and saucer looks quite common place to me. I see similar items on my travels quite often. It is an attractive one and good quality decoration but doubt it is more than vintage as above. I would have bought it myself though I reckon. The Coalport cup and saucer are lovelyyyy and I am envious. :blackalien:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

without a label or box or other attribution it's difficult to ID a specific maker. There are many details to consider here: the artistic details and colors used, the floral groupings, the lattice, the thickness/weight of enameling, etc. ...

tried several searches adding the term 'label' to try to limit results. There are similarities attributed to Egermann, Czech (non-specific) as well as Venezia. I'd lean to Czech as well.

this one with label has many similarities, tho' not exact:
    Bohemian Czech RTL Cranberry Crystal Glass Floral Enamel Tea Cup and Saucer | #4642395831 (worthpoint.com)

11. KikoBlueEyes

I think there are probably some from both sources. It's an attractive combination. Thanks for weighing in.

judy, Chinoiserie and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I have a great affection for glass in any form, shape, size, color, etc. I think the combination of materials and colors could mean that there were a lot of them produced, so I hear your thoughts on the commonplace nature of the piece.

I had to have the Coalport cup too. I love the ruffled design. Quite an artistic achievement. I bought a 1900-1920 Kaestner demitasse cup and saucer today too. Tiny delicate thing. I'm amazed it lasted 100 years.

Chinoiserie and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I think you found it. Although there are some differences, the flowers and leaves are very like. Using the lead RTL, I found this bowl in the green color with the same flowers and leaves attributed to RTL.

RTL Czechoslovakia Bohemian Gold Encrusted & Enamel Green Art Glass Bowl | eBay

14. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

If I was still collecting I would've snapped up that wee Coalport cup in a heartbeat!

15. KikoBlueEyes

It makes me proud to have found and bought something that you an expert would have liked. Thank you.

kentworld, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

The Kaestner cup - 1900-1920

IMG_4545.JPG

kentworld, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Oh my word, thank you, but no expert. I've just picked up a tidbit here and there during my collecting years.

pearlsnblume and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

More thank I know by far!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted