Great Grandfathers Binoculars

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Shkooter, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Shkooter

Shkooter New Member

Hello everyone! I have my great grandfathers binoculars! He was in ww2 however I am not sure if these are binoculars from ww2. He was in the Canadian Navy. I do not know much more than that. The binoculars are produced by Weiss L.I.C. and on the back of them they have the name of my Great Grandfather, Francis Boult and the location Ottawa, Canada. There is more writing but I cannot seem to make it out. Pictures are linked below. If anybody has any information on these binoculars, it would be much appreciated!

photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/urvas

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. Shkooter

Shkooter New Member

3. Shkooter

Shkooter New Member

whoops didn't mean to do that

judy likes this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There seem to be a lot of binoculars made by Hans Weiss L.IC. for sale, & info on several other people named Hans Weiss, but just nothing else. Picking up the first name was all I could get.

5. Shkooter

Shkooter New Member

Thank you! I will do more information to see if I can find the exact model and time period of when the binoculars were made. I will get back to you if I find anything.

6. Shkooter

Shkooter New Member

I have seem to found the Hans Weiss brand of binoculars, yet the logo does not match with the logo on my binoculars. The Hans Weiss logo is in a shape with the word optik underneath. But mine just say Weiss L.I.C. with the words coated lens underneath. Im not sure if they are two different brands or the same.

judy likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Suspect they are connected, although could mean that whoever made/makes the Optik line is really a successor company that bought the name & reputation but completely different ownership. Or maybe child[ren] kept the company going but changed the name to honor their father & updated the look of the logo.

yourturntoloveit, judy and Shkooter like this.
  8. Shkooter

Shkooter New Member

Very possible. I will contact my grandfather who gave me the binoculars to see if he can give me any more information.

judy and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted