Featured Grandma died left these end tables... Need info / direction... HELP !

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rob5939, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Rob5939

Rob5939 New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have these very unique tables and have not been able to find anything about them so I'm coming to the experts.... Any info on origin, make, value range would be very helpful. I really don't know what to do with them other than take my chances with eBay.
    Please help.

I live in the Ft Lauderdale FL area.

Thanks

scoutshouse, cxgirl, lloyd249 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rob5939

Rob5939 New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Couple more pics...

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

These are both unusual. Both would be considered demi-lune tables but not so similar otherwise. I'll deal with the second one first since it is a bit more straightforward. It is a circa 1940 mahogany with basic elements from Duncan Phyfe, though in a form that Duncan would probably cringe over. That two-tier configuration on a pedestal is really odd. The first appears to be older. At least 30s but could be older. I would like to see drawer construction and the back to get a better idea of age. Not sure if this is for plants or is a double cellarette. I assume the two wells are lined somehow or are missing liners. Looks to be walnut.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I was thinking plants also......it's a cutie !!!

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

Love it! They are in so good size to be used for "charmy" look house. :happy:

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Local collection only. I doubt if they would fetch enough to justify what would be expensive shipping.

7. Rob5939

Rob5939 New Member

Yes I believe you are correct, I seem to remember there was matching tin or metal inserts for plants although I only seen fake plants placed in them. The have inserts since eroded or deteriorated and were thrown away.

Any idea of a value range? As I would like to move them quickly.

Thanks again.

8. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

is there any marks on the top table to signify that it might have had a different base at one time ? it is very unusual to me also

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

Find a local antique auction if you want to rid them quickly.
    I dont know where you are located and what is trending in your area but Im in the south east of the united states.

Clean them up with Howards restore a finish.

On an average night they might bring $50-75 each, on a good night they might bring $100-125 each, and that is a big might.

lloyd249 likes this.
  10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Verybrad, if it was a (autocorrect alert) Cellardyke and those areas were tin lined, how would it be used? I've always thought of cellarettes as closed cabinets.

Just as accessory to hold and chill wine?

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You are correct that many cellarettes are covered or just for storage. There are some open ones for cooling. I suppose that they could have another name ... wine cooler?

upload_2016-6-14_22-46-42.png

Given that the Op's piece is most likely 20th century, I think it being a planter is more likely.

Draft saved Draft deleted