Featured Grandfather's cupboard and buffet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Mom2nine, May 29, 2019.

1. Mom2nine

Mom2nine New Member

I am looking for anyone who may recognize or know anything about these pieces. My grandfather bought them at an estate sale in California, probably in the 40's or 50's. He always told us it was made of wormwood, but after researching, I realize he likely meant they had evidence of having had wormwood (furniture beetles) in the past. So I don't really know what type of wood these are made of.

I have been trying to sell these to make space in our home, but I am wondering if the wormholes significantly de-value the pieces. I read some about wormholes being used to date an antique, and therefore being desirable. And then there is the trend toward distressed furniture. Both of these pieces are peppered with the holes and tunnels, but not so much that the structural integrity is compromised. Both pieces are quite sturdy and heavy.

Many thanks for any info, advice, or opinions! 61149807_10217207011720375_4829811150940012544_n.jpg 61131860_10217206919198062_3909496330531110912_n.jpg

Attached Files:

komokwa, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Jacobean Revival, guesses 1920s- 1930s or so, looks like oak from here. The top photo is a "court cupboard" & bottom pic a server.

3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yep, Jacobethan, possibly 1940s as well, but definitely mid 20th century as James said. Made all over the country during that time. I can't tell the exact extent of the wormholes, but you're right: there are those that would like the "shabby" effect, although I doubt that they'd pay more for the privilege.

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I'm in the 20s-30s camp

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

depends what you're asking for them....
    depends on how you're selling them...
    depends on where you're located....

they're nice and usable ...but brown furniture is a depressed market now... & like you said...they take up a lot of space.....

6. Mom2nine

Mom2nine New Member

Thank you so much for your responses. I am happy to have learned more about them. I had googled so many terms but never got anywhere. We are selling them in Alabama via Facebook marketplace, ebay, perhaps eventually Craigslist. We had asked $300 per piece or $500 for the set, but that was before my education in wormwood. Now, I am not sure how much to ask, but I am at least grateful to have a more accurate description for potential buyers. Thanks again!

James Conrad, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  7. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Do you have photos of the back? That is similar to some Bernhardt Jacobean Revival dining sets I have seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted