GRANDFATHER CLOCK MOVEMENT. Age? Uses STRING??

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by vitry-le-francois, Sep 30, 2017.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

This nifty old grandfather clock movement appears to use string for the winding mechanism. Is this unusual? Does that have any indication of age or just a cheap horologist? There are no markings anywhere. Thanks for any info :)

clock10.jpg clock2.jpg clock3.jpg clock5.jpg clock1.jpg clock4.jpg

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

string...goes thru the slits in the base....holds weights.......No ??

doesn't it look like it was put inside a larger structure...?

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Last time I checked, grandfather/weight-driven clocks use string/rope on the weights that drive the mechanism. I believe this to be a very OLD method of doing it, though. Most clocks these days use chains or metal cables (ropes and strings stretch under the weight of the driving-weights, which I suspect might have some affect on the timekeeping?).

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

You have what looks like a decent late 19th C French Comptoise clock movement in original condition. If it had a pine case it has probably rotted or been eaten by woodworm. You could simply mount it on a bracket shelf. You need a winder and a pendulum. The pendulum is one meter long. Stretched string would not affect time keeping, it only supplies the power of gravity.
    The weights would be about 7 pounds each.

Good pictures, BTW.

5. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

French, you say? That's awesome because I'm half French! THANKS for the info. The clock did come with a case but it was a 1960's fake wood repro. I bought the case and clock for $30.00. Couldn't pass that up! Donated the case to the charity store. Yes, I do have the pendulum and it is about a meter long but no winder.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

You may find it has a double strike arrangement common in these clocks, at the hour it will strike the hour and about two minutes later it will strike the hour again. This was for people who possibly did not hear it well the first time, or needed to get their shoes off to count 11 and 12.

judy, Christmasjoy and gregsglass like this.
  7. Annpan

Annpan Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

If you search for Comptoise clock movement on youtube it shows you the movements working.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted