Grand Tour Europe and Middle East ca. 1922

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jeff Drum, Oct 16, 2024 at 4:41 PM.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Going through misc stuff I’ve accumulated for unknown reasons, came across a photo album of an American touring Europe and the Middle East in march to may, 1922. Includes personal photos of Spain, Turkey, Northern Africa, Portugal, Algeria, Syria, Italy, England, others. Majority taken in Egypt, Palestine and Greece. Pics of both monuments and candid shots; residents, workers, children, even a passing funeral and public hanging. This would have been just months before discovery of Tutankhamens tomb, while England was occupying the Middle East (one of the candid shots is columns of English troops streaming down a dirt path).

Many pictures have hand writing with explanations and dates, guessing written on negatives before printing. I have not seen this before, was this common?

No relation to me. All told, about 250-300 different pictures. If you had this, what would you do with it?
    IMG_0906.jpeg IMG_0907.jpeg IMG_0908.jpeg IMG_0910.jpeg IMG_0909.jpeg IMG_0911.jpeg IMG_0912.jpeg IMG_0913.jpeg IMG_0914.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2024 at 5:08 PM
    komokwa likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The organization is so odd, isn't it? Seville and Istanbul on the same page?

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted