Featured Grand Army of the Republic reunion photo

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Born2it, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

This, luckily, escaped any major damage. My Great Great Grandfather Charles Edwin Gotwalt (1846 - 1938) is in there somewhere. The fellow front row center with the cane could be him, but sadly I’m not sure.
    IMG_0044.jpeg IMG_0043.jpeg IMG_0046.jpeg IMG_0045.jpeg

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Born2it

I’m sorry, I should have been more clear- this is a family photo. I’m pretty sure he was at the event, and that’s why this picture (taken by a local photographer) is in the family.

I don’t know for sure he was at the event, but I doubt my great grandfather would have kept the picture if his father wasn’t in it.

IMG_0091.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and smallaxe like this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

There was nothing unclear about your post. The intention of the link was to provide possible information about a Charles Gotwalt from PA being in the Union Army, and now the photo of his headstone confirms they are the same.

I see in the other image, that you know he was held prisoner at Andersonville.

You can read his own words about it here ...
    https://archive.org/details/historyofeightys00prow/page/n5/mode/2up
    Go to the Search Icon and insert Gotwalt.

all_fakes, komokwa, Born2it and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He was 15 when he joined, and I'm sure many were his age, or even younger.

komokwa likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So he'd likely be one of the younger men in the photograph. Knowing that would help with the process of elimination.

Debora

komokwa and Born2it like this.
  7. Born2it

Thank you! That was kind, and I appreciate it :) We used to have a copy of the book with his story in it, but I’m not sure it survived, so this is gold.

Draft saved Draft deleted