Featured Grain Painted Blanket Chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by joe blowski, Jul 5, 2023.

1. joe blowski

joe blowski Active Member

Hi. I picked up this sweet dovetailed painted chest at auction this weekend and would like to hear opinions as to age and regional origin. I've included a picture of the top edge which shows the contrast of the oxidized finish and the original 'ochre' undercolor.
    There was also a note about the maker of the hinge (image attached) which points to a possible English origin (?).
    39" wide, 22.5" depth, 26" height each side made from two boards with the largest width being 18". I've never seen a lock mechanism like that pictured. It appears to be a simple lever mechanism and not 'keyed'.
    I'd also like to have your thoughts on the paint and texturing. I don't think it's lamp black as it has definite thickness. Perhaps the decoration was applied at a later date - the escutcheon look contemporary? Thanks!
    entire1.jpg message1.jpg lidup.jpg back.jpg top1.jpg detail1.jpg lock1.jpg baldwinHinge.jpg entire1.jpg message1.jpg lidup.jpg back.jpg top1.jpg detail1.jpg lock1.jpg baldwinHinge.jpg frontEdge1.jpg entire1.jpg

wlwhittier, judy, laura9797 and 6 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Very nice!!!! LOVE the way the pattern circles the keyhole escutcheon!!! And looks well made, to me.....early to mid 1800's would be my guess.........

wlwhittier, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Blow-That blanket chest's a beaut mate & bob's yr uncle !

Aquitaine, judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice chest! I think mid-19th century as well, or even a tad earlier. Have not seen that lock either. Missing some parts? With those hinges and that lock, could very well be English in origin. Escutcheon looks old to me but maybe not quite as old as the chest. Certainly in keeping with the original size if not original.

wlwhittier and judy like this.
  5. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

victorian blanket box ( or chest ) 1900 onwards

Baldwins still make ironmongery

https://grandvictorian.co.uk/the-baldwin-hinge/

Blanket boxes were frequently knocked together with bits of wood in stock

I had a cedar chest with the lid and base in very tacky pine

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted