Featured Gplan table top bits of veneer missing

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Houseful, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I'm trying to rescue this poor 1960s Gplan coffee table. I've sanded it down, put wood restorer on but I don't know the best way to fix the missing veneer. Would you use wood filler and then oil paint in to match or cut it straight and add a fill in strip? It's a shame it was left in a damp garage for years. Thanks.
    ~ image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

That is a lot of missing veneer so difficult to splice in new pieces. I might be tempted to cut a straight line across, remove the veneer outside the line, and put in a contrasting band with the grain running the opposite way. I would then do the same on the other end to match.

3. Houseful

Thanks Brad. I might try filling first, see what it looks like. It's apparently a ib Kofod-Larsen Danish design for Gplan I just found out.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

kinda like frame it......at both ends........interesting !:woot:

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could you just shorten the top?

6. Houseful

I hadn't considered that, it could work very well, I don't think cutting off 10/15 mm would notice. I wouldn't dare do it myself as I don't have an electric saw but I can find a competent someone. Thanks MOS.

7. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Can't see all of your table from your pictures, but looking up that table by the name you gave it looks you found a really awesome table however you decide to restore it.

KingofThings and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Houseful

Yes, it's the small version on sale for 270 Euros, could find quite a few of the larger ones but only one small. I'll post pics when I've restored it.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If you do decide to shorten the top, make sure that it is done on a good saw with the right type of blade. Cut with the face up on a table saw (face down with a hand saw) and it helps to put some masking tape on the inside line of the top side (underside too if also veneered). Otherwise you are likely to experience veneer chip out as bad as you already have.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Would you show what the rest looks like??

KingofThings and Ghopper1924 like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If this is a valuable table and intended for resale, shortening the top might be the wrong decision.

Whatever you do, the condition won't be original and unaltered.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  12. Houseful

Thank you Brad. I don't have a decent saw so if it doesn't look good after I've had a try at filling and oil paint matching I will consult a professional.

13. Houseful

Yes I will. It's getting dark here so will do it tomorrow.

14. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

Looking at the pics for this table I could see it with the missing veneer filled in and then covering it with a stripe of black enamel or lacquer paint. Doing both sides to match of course. Then maybe some black feet glides or the standard atomic brass ones. Not sure how hard enamel or lacquer is to work with though.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. FWIW

FWIW Well-Known Member

That would be if I kept it for myself. If I were selling it I usually just sell as is on high end pieces.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've done similar with all four edges injured. Filled with similar veneer and filler then laid on a border of copper leaf around it.
    Looks fabulous. :)

Houseful and FWIW like this.
  17. Houseful

Table pics. image.jpg image.jpg

FWIW and KingofThings like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like a great table!!!!! Thanks for showing.....definitely worth repairing!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Houseful

Update. Here's the result from wood filling and then touching in with image.jpg image.jpg acrylic paint. It's not invisible but the table looks ok.

judy, Figtree3, BoudiccaJones and 6 others like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You've improved the look of it, so good for you!

Draft saved Draft deleted