Featured Gotham perfume bottle?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rink28, Jul 5, 2024 at 3:02 PM.

1. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Hello, I picked this sterling silver overlay perfume bottle up at my local thrift. The only thing close I could find was gorham. Is that what this is? Thank you for any info.

20240705_133818.jpg 20240705_133821.jpg 20240705_133854.jpg 20240705_133916.jpg 20240705_133952.jpg 20240705_134000.jpg 20240705_134005.jpg 20240705_134017.jpg 20240705_134152.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

at a thrift....... not bad !!!!
    it's lovely with that art nouveau vibe !!!

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

glassluv, rink28, bercrystal and 4 others like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I have no idea who made the glass bottle but the silver overlay would appear to be Gorham. I can't see the first symbol very clearly but the second and third symbols would be consistent with Gorham.

glassluv, rink28, Any Jewelry and 7 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A purrfect reply.

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Gorham's 'D946' silver deposit (usually called overlay now) scent bottle - the 'D' prefix production numbers on glass w/silver was first used in 1898, continued into the early 20th century...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024 at 4:28 PM
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@DragonflyWink pretty well has this one covered. ;):happy::happy::kiss:

Cheryl, do you know where Gorham bought the glass bottle & stopper?

I can't tell if the bottle is dirty inside or has some sickness. You can try some warm water & a couple of drops of dish soap. If you can get a bottle brush in there to scrub that would be good. Rinse & dry thoroughly.

I dry the inside of my bottles using strips of paper towels & a long skewer. I cut the strips about 1" to 1 1/2" wide & stuff them into the bottle with the skewer being careful to leave a couple of inches sticking out. Then swirl the strips around using the skewer. Leave the stopper out of the bottle for at least an hour or so to make sure it is totally dried.

If there is no change to the appearance of the bottle once it is dried then it is likely permanent.

glassluv, rink28, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Gorham was so prolific, they most likely procured the glass blanks from more than one manufacturer, can't say I recall seeing reference to any specific company - and it wasn't until a few years into the 20th century that glass makers started offering silver deposit themselves (believe Fostoria was likely first, they also did their own silver deposit work). Prior to that, the silver manufacturers were the ones who offered silver deposit, not just on glass and ceramics, but also on other non-metallic surfaces. Gorham received a gold medal at the Columbian Expo for their silver deposit on glass and pottery, the pottery was Rookwood and it's estimated that they did approximately 2500 of those pieces until around 1906, but there aren't records of any partnership between the two companies...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 6, 2024 at 12:36 AM
  11. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind finding one of those!

rink28, Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cheryl!! :happy::kiss:

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted