Got my fingers crossed - listed some locks and keys

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by evelyb30, Jun 16, 2021.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The keys have no locks and the locks have no keys, but we all know eBoo. The locks are older than dirt, but one has US on the side so it's former military. Just making sure I didn't make any dumb mistakes listing this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393397179521

judy, Aquitaine and Ce BCA like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

The Ford key fob piece might be worth listing separately. Someone is trying to get $39 for a similar one in good shape. Who knows if it will ever sell for that though.

judy likes this.
  3. evelyb30

alas the listing is already up. If it goes unsold I can take it out. Right now it has 72 views but no watchers. The locks alone usually sell for as much or more than I've got on the lot, but who knows.

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Good luck !

5. evelyb30

Thanks! I bought these years ago at a yard sale for no known reason. Paid a whole buck. Actually that was the reason. It even came with the padlocks.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Used to be a padlock collector. Think your starting price is reasonable but not a bargain. Most of the keys have little to no value and add unnecessary weight. I am seeing a little over $12.00 to ship to me in IL. At $42.00+ total cost, I would pass on this. You would probably do better to break this up and get rid of a bunch of the keys. On the other hand, a beginning collector might see this as a way to jumpstart his/her collection in one swoop. You never know. Best of luck!

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just took a look at some locks and see prices are up. You might be fine with this.

8. evelyb30

Thanks. Hope so. I figured the price was fair but not spectacular and was hoping the key guys and the crafters would get into a tussle ... and that there wasn't anything reportable in there. Some old keys will get you pulled.

9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I had not heard that some keys can get you pulled. Why?

10. evelyb30

Railroad switch keys, never mind that the locks went in a WWII scrap drive. Someone's crazy idea of those keys being used to derail trains or some such. Meanwhile the locks haven't been in use for a good 75 years. Railroad locks might not be any good either, even though most of the roads are long gone.

Go figure.