Featured Gorgeous plates...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Erik Aunapuu, Aug 28, 2024.

1. Erik Aunapuu

Erik Aunapuu Well-Known Member

Hey folks!

I found these two beauties at the thrift store and hoping to ID them. Any ideas of the maker and age?
    No markings, some impressed marks on one of the plates.
    Diameter approx. 22,5 cm (8.8 inches).

Thank you in advance :)

cd9d7083-6713-43a2-a36f-2108cdc7144e.jpg b93387d7-87a6-49fd-9496-d47442078b89.jpg 6b5402d8-18e0-4109-88a0-f9f442095a95.jpg 774673fc-3289-4161-b9ea-eda6352e26df.jpg cbd53944-24cf-4361-9544-e10703bd0c99.jpg c8781d5e-9c64-42b9-997f-84dc30e2df1c.jpg 9330e579-b1ef-46d7-84be-25173b399f13.jpg b1c632fc-d6c5-4775-8eaf-c60796ea16cd.jpg

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Bit of a stumper for me. I love some nice birdie painting, though -- nice set!

3. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Have you tried Replacements.com image search? Sometimes I get lucky with that. Good luck!

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

They remind me of some plates that my Russian relatives had, but wait for the experts.

Figtree3, mirana, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  5. Erik Aunapuu

Interesting. The thrift shop owner said she got them from an old Russian man who was a painter and collected lots of Imperial Russian porcelain and silver. :)

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

That's the type of helpful info that should be in your initial post.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone did a nice job. I've seen Meissen that looks a little like it, but Meissen would have signed theirs. I'd try image searching just the birds; they might be a clue.

8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Looks like UK pieces to me with all that cobalt blue and gold. Can anyone identify the birds? That could be a big clue. Is that an indented mark on the back of one of them or just an imperfection from firing? Do you have a more close up shot of it?

Here is a slightly similar one from coalport.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373601746395

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

If I am remembering my relatives plate that is like yours, there was a portrait of a stylish lady in the center.

10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

In just looking at the back of one plate that you posted, I saw a 'hint' of green & what looked like it could be a letter.....some contrasting, reducing noise and a little sharpening, it looks potentially like it 'could' be a "B", but not positive....and enlarging it did NOT help!

c8781d5e-9c64-42b9-997f-84dc30e2df1c-P.jpg

EnhancedPLATE LETTER-topaz-lighting.jpeg

11. Erik Aunapuu

Thank you so much for taking time to do this, I truly appreciate it! :)

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. kentworld

Erik, are you in Finland? If so, that would add to the possibility that these plates are Russian. Yes, they are very similar to British porcelain of the mid 1800s onwards.

13. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Nice quality mid 19th century. Can’t tell you more.

Erik Aunapuu likes this.
  14. Erik Aunapuu

I am from Estonia, but found these plates in Sweden. I also think there is possibility they are Russian, but also look very French to me. I can't believe I am not able to figure it out :(

Figtree3, kentworld and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think those star-shaped centers were very unusual.

Debora

kentworld likes this.
  16. kentworld

Well, we are somewhat stumped, too, and you're right -- they look "easy" to ID at first.

17. kentworld

Yes, that's partly why I'm stumped and at first I thought Limoges (not all first thoughts are good ones, LOL!) because of that shape.

18. evelyb30

The Russians borrowed from the French, right up until their Revolution in 1917. I don't think we have any other posters in Estonia, although long ago there was one.

19. evelyb30

I just saw something fleeingly on line. Could these be Herend? I just saw some painted birds at random that reminded me of these.

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Erik Aunapuu , they are beautiful. You have a good eye.

The bird with no crest looks like a pheasant, but can't tell for certain. Perhaps the bird with the crest is, also.

Erik Aunapuu and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted