Featured Good Morning Everyone! Can You Please Help Me With This Silver Pillbox? Thank you

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Oct 5, 2023.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

When I purchase this box I was told it was Victorian and sterling silver, but when tested several times I would get a gray-ish green color. The only part that actually tested sterling silver was this flat circular piece that came with it. I am assuming the silver content must be way lower than 800. One of the images you can see when it is all cleaned up. I am also not sure if it is Victorian and I really need your expert opinion on this. Thank you so much for your help!
    23 (1).JPG 23 (3).JPG 23 (2).JPG 23 (4).JPG 23 (5).JPG 23 (6).JPG 23 (7).JPG

IvaPan, mmarco102, KSW and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi ezee.:) Beautiful box.
    It looks like an east Asian lime box to me. Lime is used to chew betel leaves, and betel accessories are valued and often very beautifully made.

I'm off for a bite to eat now, but I will look in my betel info to see if I can find one like yours.

IvaPan, KSW, Dessert58 and 4 others like this.
  3. ezeepass

Thank you so much AJ! Enjoy

IvaPan, KSW, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Off for a bite of betel?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
    KSW, Dessert58, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Found it, this specific shape box is made by the Shan, in Burma/Myanmar. If you google Shan lime box or Shan betel box you'll see more.

This is a rather fancy one:

Shan.jpg
    https://www.michaelbackmanltd.com/archived_objects/shan-burmese-silver-betel-box-2/

The sides of yours aren't decorated, which means that it probably sat in a travel or presentation box with other betel accessories.

This site has a nice collection of betel accoutrements:

https://www.wjmantiques.com/stock.asp?t=category&search=&c=Betel (paan) accoutrements&offsett=0

IvaPan, mmarco102, KSW and 4 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Not today, only on weekends.:joyful:

IvaPan, KSW, Dessert58 and 4 others like this.
  7. ezeepass

Thank you, Thank you So much AJ! I have being sitting on the box for 7 months thinking it was a pillbox and doing search on just that. Now it makes more sense.

IvaPan, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Understandable, if that was what the seller said. And you have probably never seen betel related items.

The chain is probably a safety measure so the lid doesn't get lost during travel, so I think it was part of a travel set rather than home presentation set.
    Betel and lime boxes from Sumatra, Indonesia often have chains because they hang from a shawl, but this one isn't Sumatran.

9. ezeepass

Ok thank you, I appreciate all the help you have given me for the past year.

10. ezeepass

AJ I was wondering do you think my piece is from the late 19th century? I am trying to get a date down. Thank you

IvaPan and KSW like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

It could be, but these boxes are difficult to date because styles stayed the same for a long time. It has also been overpolished.
    But the fact that it isn't marked means it has age.

IvaPan, KSW, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  12. ezeepass

IvaPan, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

That doesn't mean yours is.;)
    If I were you I wouldn't pin a date on it. Items like this aren't like western jewellery, where period is very important. With these ethnic items it is all about authenticity, and collectors will buy it for being an authentic Shan lime/betel box.

IvaPan, J Dagger, KSW and 3 others like this.
  14. ezeepass

Ok understand. Thank so much you again and enjoy the rest of your evening.

IvaPan, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

You too ezee.:)

IvaPan, KSW and ezeepass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted