Good forum for antique dolls?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by EDR1633, Jan 1, 2024.

1. EDR1633

EDR1633 New Member

I have a couple dolls from the early 1990's on hand as well as a Cinderella doll from the 1980's, all in pretty good condition.

Not familiar with this field. Trying to research these for someone else.

Is there a forum that might be best to post to? Or is there a subsection here I missed?

Thabks!

judy and KSW like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Welcome!
    We have some very knowledgeable "doll people". Members tend to post their doll inquiries here in the "Antique Discussion" sub-forum.

judy, KSW, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yep! I just did a search for you and that's where I found them.

Debora

KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums, @EDR1633! Dolls from the 1980s and 90s are considered modern, but there are many doll people here on the forums who are happy to help where we can. Can you please post photos for us? You can just add them to this thread.

judy, KSW, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

80/90s dolls are usually mass produced so you might also start with running the photos through Google Lens to see what matches there are. It's always a good place to start any research and can get you answers or additional keywords quick.

judy, KSW, NewEngland and 3 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Great advice above. Then go to eBay and check Completed/Sold and Active listings. That will give you an idea of supply/demand on the collector market.

Debora

KSW, mirana and Figtree3 like this.
  7. EDR1633

EDR1633 New Member

Yes, Google Lens has been extremely helpful on a number of things I've been sorting through, dolls included. I am seeing that most of these dolls range from 25 to 100 with a good presence on eBay and Etsy. Let me share one of them below...

Identified as a Maryse Nicole doll, done 1991, signed on the back of the neck. I don't know exactly what the name of the doll is... perhaps I need to search the body and dress more thoroughly...

20240107_175022.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    judy and mirana like this.
  8. sassafras

The vast majority of Maryse Nicole dolls were sold through Franklin Mint at that time (even some of her originals). They were produced in series like "The Garden Doll Collection", "Heirloom", etc. The same face molds were used with the wig and costumes differentiating the dolls. While a clever marketing ploy, "collector's edition" dolls are not very collectible. Unfortunately, they aren't worth terribly much. Here's a link to the "sold" listings on eBay.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=maryse+nicole&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

Do you have a photo of the signature on the back of her neck? Maryse Nicole also sold dolls through her shop and shows. They were produced in smaller numbers and had different markings. That could be why she's not turning up for you with google lens. While your doll isn't shown in the link below, it does give a little info and has pics of the different neck markings for the studio dolls.
    https://stopmejohn.blogspot.com/2017/09/maryse-nicole-originals.html

komokwa, judy and mirana like this.
  9. EDR1633

EDR1633 New Member

That second link is very good and I'm fairly convinced it's the Chantel 1991 doll. I better look again at the numbering to be sure. The signature most certainly matches. Looks like our doll is missing the neck choker. At work so I'll investigate later.

10. sassafras

Great! So glad you found her on the link. I zipped right by her earlier. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted