Featured Good Afternoon Everyone! Can You Please Help Me With This Native American Bracelet? TY

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by ezeepass, Oct 27, 2023.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

I just purchase this bracelet and it is marked Sterling Shabie. I know this is Native American, but having a hard time finding the name anywhere except for one on Ebay. Link below… I am hoping someone will be able to tell me the age. I am thinking Navajo old pawn? Thank you all in advance for all your help. Stay safe and well

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204486451464?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
    2 (1).JPG 2 (2).JPG 2 (3).JPG 2 (4).JPG

mirana, stracci, reader and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice bracelet, ezee, a Modernist style.
    Shabi(e) is a Navajo surname, and there are several silversmiths named Shabi or Shabie. I don't have time now, but I'll check if I can find this specific mark tomorrow.

It isn't Old Pawn though. Old Pawn pieces are heavy silver and turquoise pieces that were worn by the Navajo themselves, and pawned when they needed money.

stracci, reader, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  3. ezeepass

Thank you so much AJ and for cleaning up about Old Pawn. I thought it was just the date it was made.. lol This piece weighs 38 grams. As Alway, I appreciate you helping me

stracci and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Technically, "old pawn" doesn't even exist. "Dead pawn" jewelry is a real thing, but requires having an actual pawn ticket along with the jewelry. Old pawn is just marketroid for "we want to jack the price up for no reason." In the old days, there were no banks or safety deposit boxes. You'd pawn your fancy jewelry for the Winter or whatever and the broker gave you a loan and had to keep it safe.

Your bracelet was made for sale, so not pawn jewelry.

Curioser, mirana, reader and 2 others like this.
  5. ezeepass

Thank you Evely!

6. Any Jewelry

Ezee, I can't find this specific mark.:( But I have no doubt that it is Navajo, because it is a Navajo name, and also the name of several Navajo silversmiths.

ezeepass likes this.
  7. ezeepass

Thank you so much AJ for helping me. I appreciate it very much.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. ezeepass

Sorry AJ, I meant to ask if you have an idea of the age? I usually use the clasp to get an idea, but I am not sure if is before the 50's or after. Thank you

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I'm sure it is after, but can't date it exactly without knowing who made it. The style is Modernist, but that could also mean late 70s, possibly even later.
    If you list it, you could call it Modernist without a precise date.

ezeepass likes this.
  10. ezeepass

Thank you AJ!

11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I can’t ID the Shabie but agree it’s Navajo although modernist. Prob 80s/90s…
    Nor could I but the piece is newer IMO and my books aren’t.

12. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I think it’s later…certainly modernist but IMO that piece would never have existed in the 70s with that stamp.

13. Any Jewelry

Very likely.
    Large scale stamping is indeed a fairly late thing, I believe it began in the very late 70s.

reader and stracci like this.
  14. ezeepass

15. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and ezeepass like this.
  16. reader

reader Well-Known Member

It actually goes back earlier but by specific artists like Loloma. Stamping wasn’t across the board til the 80s.

Any Jewelry and ezeepass like this.
  17. ezeepass

Thank you Reader! I appreciate your response.

reader likes this.
  18. ezeepass

I have a question for you. are these stone consider to be sleeping beauty? Because I thought they were much more bluer

19. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I know some will give opinions on turquoise attribution but I come from the school that unless one is there where the stone was mined or a known artist usually used a specific mine or there’s written documentation, attribution is just hearsay. Of my entire collection I’d only assign a mine to one belt buckle as I know the smith mined Cerrillos and the piece is screamingly green. Any mine can have multiple veins of varying color and matrix.

Meanwhile I think your bracelet is great- modernist, Navajo, sterling and turquoise-that’s are all you need if selling. Dating IMO is such a slippery slope. I don’t see how that piece could be 50s or FH but even if it is, using the other keywords will bring you buyers while being completely straight.

Curioser, Any Jewelry and ezeepass like this.
  20. ezeepass

I wasn't thinking that my piece is FH, the link say theirs was. I am not an expert on 90% of the items I have, but I come to you all for your help and I appreciate every single responses, helpful or not. I trust you all and I just want to make sure that whatever I list is accurate. So I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
    stay well and safe reader, thanks again

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted