Featured Goldrush 1/2 Plte Dagurreotype Auction

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by bosko69, Aug 23, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

This auction just popped-up in my email (as if I could afford any of it !).This
    Hangtown (Placerville,CA) late 1840's-early 50's Mining Scene Half Plate Dag blew my mind-the clarity,lack of blemishes or tarnish is mind-blowing.
    This one's got it all-Yankees,Chinese,Afro-American all brethren joined in gold fever.Kind of a class Smithsonian quality scene (almost too perfect ?...but I guess such things exist).
    https://holabirdamericana.liveauctiongroup.com/Hangtown-Mining-Scene-Half-Plate-Dag-185001_i53676993
    PS-Inquiring minds sometimes wonder-'Do you own this/are you selling this ?-sadly NO & NO.

Figtree3, Batman_2000, Boland and 6 others like this.
  2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Was this thing vacuum-sealed in a vault??

But yes, that's a great photo too. Lucky guy that walked away with it after it was taken on the claim.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Mirana-The condition's astounding,content & condition don't get much better.It really is a museum piece.
    PS-Plus there's some 19th century denim in this auction (incl. some work wear !).

mirana and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Extraordinary image.

Debora

5. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Great photo with some interesting details. 1. Miner standing on flume looks super-imposed? Would those sideboards have supported his weight? 2. The trees in the background look like an orchard?

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apple country. I'd thought the Gold Rush was a bit early for orchards but, apparently it wasn't.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted