Gold Pin

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lisa, May 11, 2015.

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

I have this antique gold pin that doesn't have any markings that I can find. It tests positive for 14K gold. Why would it test positive and yet doesn't have a 14K stamp? Is there anyway to date this item or even determine the origin? Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FlyingButtonRanch

FlyingButtonRanch Crazy for old clothes buttons!

Lovely Etruscan revival pin with what looks like Persian Turquoise and watch hook. Sad stones are missing.

Not uncommon not to be marked. Look carefully on the catch and also look on the sharp pin. Sometimes it's stamped there.

3. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

Thank you FlyingButtonRanch!!! Very helpful :)

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice! Hope someone has stones for it.

FlyingButtonRanch likes this.
  5. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Very pretty!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I like it, too. I used to have a little Victorian pendant that had the same type of gold filigree work and tiny turquoise stones.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The back appears tarnished. 14K does not tarnish like that. I suspect the gold is only applied material or plating and thus it could not be legally marked as gold.

The tarnish on the front would be the silver solder which holds the wires.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. FlyingButtonRanch

FlyingButtonRanch Crazy for old clothes buttons!

It's possible that it's a gold wash over silver...but Lisa said it tests for 14k.

Any gold other than 24k can tarnish, especially a low karat gold. Sulfur will also do it, so will some other chemicals, onions, body chemicals, acids in a storage box, perfume and makeup. It also can just be years of grime.

See if a drop or tow of liquid soap and ammonia/water (1 part ammonia to 6 parts water) will clean it up using a soft tooth brush (be careful of the stones though, don't get it on them, so don't soak it because of the turquoise pieces) or use commercial jewelry cleaner. Dab the tarnished areas with a small moistened cloth and let sit for one minute and then use the brush. Dab with clean water to remove the cleaner when you're done to remove all the ammonia.

Let us know if it cleans up!

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree, I have gotten badly tarnished pieces that proved to be gold :)

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Gorgeous pin!

KingofThings likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Very pretty piece, but my monitor must be pretty bad, or the pictures are deceptive, because I see only limited areas of gold on a white metal piece (would guess silver) - have no issue with tarnish on gold, but this doesn't look to me like a solid gold item in these pics...

~Cheryl

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted