Featured Gold leaf paint secretary desk--unknown age/origin/manufacturer

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MrMatt, May 14, 2016.

1. MrMatt

MrMatt New Member

Hello all!

Received this piece from a relative and don't know a thing about it other than that it is an 'antique gold-leaf secretary desk'.

None of my internet scouring has been productive regarding manufacturer/age/origin. Hoping someone here can assist, it seems like a fairly unique piece!

Special thanks to KingOfThings for the helpful posting tips!

(Pardon my wife in her robe, these were taken prior to coffee!)

~

P5140057.jpg P5140002.jpg P5140003.jpg P5140005.jpg P5140055.jpg P5140052.jpg P5140053.jpg P5140056.jpg P5140059.jpg P5140060.jpg

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

You're quite welcome and thank you for saying so! :)
    Very easy to see and read all. :)

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It appears to be a 20th C reproduction of a Louis XV French desk.

Although somewhat over the top the style still has some followers.

Fairly unique is a solecism, unique cannot take a comparative. Unusual, certainly.

MrMatt likes this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Just for fun, I'll say that it looks to me to be French in inspiration, Louis XV/XIV - style? That said, I have no idea if it came from IKEA or old France... happily, furniture brainiacs will be along to tell us!

EDIT
    There's one now! *pointing upwards to AF*
    I really must refresh my screen more often!

MrMatt likes this.
  5. MrMatt

MrMatt New Member

Thanks for the responses! I definitely see what you are talking about with Louis XV/XIV style--just wish it had some sort of marking so I could know for sure.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Antiques and most notably furniture are not generally dated by markings but by style and construction, which are usually enough.

Think of it like telling a 1920s car from a 1950s example, or a 1980s one. See enough stuff and you learn its timeline.

cxgirl and MrMatt like this.
  7. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

Is there some lady in blue robe at some picture? :happy:

MrMatt likes this.
  8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

That's his wife!
    Clearly a saint, to allow photography before coffee (see above!)...

Wanttoknow and MrMatt like this.
  9. MrMatt

MrMatt New Member

Indeed there is, that's the wifey! We unwrapped the piece early this morning and clearly were not completely concious

Wanttoknow likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its so exaggerated I cant help but think later interpretation of a French style . Maybe 70s ? That being said , its so over the top I would gladly use it in my house !

MrMatt likes this.
  11. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Johnny, that makes sense to me, as a novice. I was just studying the French and Louis styles related, and this one really does seem to use almost every flourish, bell and whistle, and option... as you said, really over the top! I like it, too!

MrMatt likes this.
  12. MrMatt

MrMatt New Member

Happy to hear it has a few fans out there! First thing out of my fiancees mouth when she saw it was "...eww...".

13. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Well, you photo'd her before coffee!!!!! Take your penance, Mr. Man! :hilarious:

MrMatt likes this.
  14. MrMatt

MrMatt New Member

A valid and astute observation! Noted

15. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

*nodding sagely*
    Mmmmm-hmmmm.

MrMatt likes this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Put me in the ewwwww crowd. Very over the top French style desk. I would think this is 50s or later. Possibly made in Italy.

MrMatt likes this.
  17. Wanttoknow

:happy: It funny sometimes see pictures on eBay and see "people are visible" in some items.... and not every time they are dressed properly..... better say: they are not dressed.... :hilarious: (It is not about your wife. :shy:)

MrMatt likes this.
  18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

19. Wanttoknow

But the worst when sellers put some items on the very dirty floor for taking pictures and in same time they take pictures with their "terrible! dirty! ugly! feet!!!!!!". :vomit::vomit:
    And what interesting: buyers from ebay BUY these items ANYWAY! OMG! They can see "where that item was" and "who keep that item in her / his hands", but buy it anyway! :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

20. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

SCANDALOUS!!!!
    *searching eBay for teapots, toasters and shinies*
    What??? RESEARCH!

MrMatt and Wanttoknow like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted