gold ID bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tracey mitchell, Apr 23, 2019.

1. tracey mitchell

tracey mitchell New Member

can someone help read this hallmark on my family heirloom, i think its a clover or spade with a sun or star above it to the right and i think a L below left of it.
    here are some pics , thanks
    ID hallmark.png ID hallmark2.jpg gold ID.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @tracey mitchell !

I think this request would have more people look at it in the Jewelry forum area. @daveydempsey could you move the thread, please?

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Tracey. Do you know anything in your family history that would support the idea that this came from the Middle East?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. tracey mitchell

Great grandfather was stationed over there during war , I remember as a child him telling me stories and show me a flower he picked and pressed in a bible from Cairo I think?

Christmasjoy, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting...i had a similar necklace....same chain....same closure.....bought here new, in the late 70's...

6. Bronwen

I asked because the square box ('cartouche') the mark is in is typical of Egyptian marks. However, the marks themselves don't look right. Maybe just extremely sloppy. Could be the mark for 18K, which looks like IΛ.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It looks like a man's ID bracelet, circa 1960s, that was popular in the U.S. If I'm remembering correctly, a guy would give it to his girlfriend and it would signify they were going steady.

8. Bronwen

Saw this sometimes in junior high & high school, giving an ID bracelet as a sign they were going steady. In my working class town, the bracelets were not gold, though. Probably not even solid silver.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I don't remember that they were precious metal, either. The bracelets were thick and heavy, so would have been very expensive in gold or silver.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  10. tracey mitchell

Yes this is definitely gold and not magnetic at all

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

You would have to have fineness tested to know if my guess about 18K is correct. 14K is not standard for Egypt; 12, 18 & 21 are most common.

i need help likes this.
  12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Back then in the 1950s gold was only 35 dollars an ounce. Silver was so cheap. My first silver link bracelet was only 12 dollars. When I sold it in the 70s I got over 300 dollars for scrap. My in-laws gold wedding bands were only 20 dollars for TWO of them.
    greg

judy, Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  13. tracey mitchell

Wow, how times have changed

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The Government set the price of gold when they went off the gold standard. It remained the same for years. Then the standard went off and the price began to soar.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Himself bought me a gold ingot in Dubai - just under an ounce, supposedly to be worn as a pendant. I think it cost him about £140. A few years later, with his agreement, I hasten to add, I sold it for four times that and bought an iPad!

judy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  16. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

You probably know that not being attracted to a magnet is not a test for gold, all it tells you is there is no iron or steel in the piece. It is in effect a negative test, it only tells you what it is not, not what it is :)

17. tracey mitchell

ok guys i have the closest possible picture of the hallmark on the gold ID bracelet, here comes the picture. fingers crossed some one can help me identify it. gold ID bracelet hallmarks4.png

Figtree3, judy and Bronwen like this.
  18. tracey mitchell

i can definatley see a spade [off a deck of cards] or 3 leaf clover.
    a capital L below the clover and it looks to be a star or sun above right?

judy and Bronwen like this.
  19. tracey mitchell

there is another little star i think sitting above left of the clover also

judy and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted