Featured Gold coin 1911, from my grandfather

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

My grandfather gave me this 52 years ago when I was a 11 year old tinkering with an amateur coin collection. I think he thought I should have it since I was collecting coins. (Thank you, grandfather!) My mom put it straight away into her safety deposit box for safe keeping, probably the only reason it is still around.

I'm no longer a coin collector and it really doesn't have material sentimental value. I'll always remember the kind gesture, I don't need the coin for that. And was thinking I could do something special with the proceeds.

Are there any tips for selling a coin like this? I've found similar (1911 $2-1/2 United States Indian Head Quarter Eagle Gold Coin) so I know the make and descriptive words, but do I need to get it graded? I plan to take a few better photos, too. Anything I should do close ups of? I think the ones minted in Denver are worth 3x the ones not, but this does not appear to be. Do I have that correct?

@daveydempsey, can you add anything?

coin3.jpg

coin4.jpg coin9.jpg

coin1b.jpg
    I think this is where the "D" for Denver would have appeared -- seems like it is a Philadelphia coin.

coin1c.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If I'm correct, handle it with cotton gloves.......it's Delightful and looks to be in NICE condition....but I'm no expert....just have a couple of coins!!!

judy, Rayo56, smallaxe and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

we like Grandpa !!!;)

judy, Rayo56, Aquitaine and 5 others like this.
  4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Indian Head Gold 2.50 Quarter Eagle. Minted in Philadelphia. The Denver 1911 has only a 55,680 mintage and could be worth quite a bit in uncirculated condition ($20,000+ ?). Yours is the more common Philly with 704,191 being minted and could be worth up to $1000 in this condition. (All coin values are subjective on which coin source you use)

PS: Only hold coins by their edges and NEVER attempt to clean it.

[​IMG]

judy, bercrystal, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Personally I would not get it graded, you will never recover your outlay.
    It has a scratch or gouge on the second T of Trust.

If you scroll right on here https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1911-d-2-50-strong/7943 you will see some Denver minted ones were struck with a weak D.
    Examine yours with a loupe in the place described just to make sure.

judy, Aquitaine, bercrystal and 4 others like this.
  6. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Wow that is a super light mint mark at the pcgs info link or is it just wishful thinking?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I looked pretty hard for that "D" but didn't see anything. Will take a 2nd look just to be sure.

Thanks to everyone for their responses! :)

judy, daveydempsey and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

While you are looking more closely for a D mint mark, go ahead and check that "scratch" through the T in TRUST. If it is incuse it indeed probably is a scratch or gouge as previously stated. If it is raised then it is a die crack and shouldn't lower the value of your coin like a scratch would

9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Of all the US coinage, that design is my favorite. As others mentioned, don't allow greasy fingers on it, and do not clean or even rub it with a cloth. Collectors hate fingerprints and the telltale signs of cleaning. Based on the lighting (from the right), that looks like a scratch on the T. There are also a few nicks here and there as well. If you take it to a coin store for an opinion, be wary of getting low ball offers.

10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’m far from a coin expert but besides the noted flaws it appears to have quite light circulation or wear. Nice coin!

Colinloves, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

cool piece Lucille:)

Aquitaine, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'd hang on to it just for a "rainy day".....you just NEVER know!!! Besides, I think it's pretty cool to have a gold coin or two, even if not worth a fortune!!!!:singing::singing::singing:

Lucille.b, J Dagger and judy like this.
  13. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I’m seeing more ridge on top than on bottom, as others have noted the T has a mark or dent. I think it’s a mis-strike not a dent or bag mark. In my limited experience, but fair recollection they are not meant to be circulated. I would check with a reliable source on the internet. It could also be a partial double strike. I would send Rick on Pawn Stars pics after I called to see if it was ok with him. Just an idea. He can’t touch it wrong so far away, not that he would. That gold is a beautiful color from being locked away. Also, loupe in front of his nose. Is there a mark?

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  14. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  15. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I would get a display container off the internet to keep it from getting scratched or worn. An alternate to this would be to get a pendant container with plastic or glass lenses. I would then get a matching color gold chain and wear it.

Lucille.b and Aquitaine like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted