Glazed Tile

Discussion in 'Art' started by Spudnik, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

I've never bought a glazed tile before, but this one caught my eye. I don't know what you would call this style, or what vintage it might be, but it's an intriguing image.

Size is about 4" X 6".

There's a signature bottom right, but I can't make it out.

Can anyone identify the artist or have any comments about this? Is it interesting or just run of the mill :>) ?

Glazed Tile Front.jpg Glazed Tile Signature.jpg Glazed Tile Back.jpg

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

That isn't run of any mill! A lovely piece of work...Thanks!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That looks to be enamel on copper .Very MCM and I LOVE it ! Lat name might be Avicuro?

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NOT an easy one to interpret either- C's could be G's....inverted: not positive how many periods between letters!!!

Glazed Tile Sig INVERTED.jpg

5. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

Thanks guys, that's very encouraging.

As I said, I've never acquired a glazed tile before. At least that's what I thought it was. Glazed Tile? Enamel on copper? Porcelain? Ceramic Tile? How do I determine what the material is or what to call it? Was this a popular mid century modern medium?

wlwhittier and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Enamel on copper has been around forever,but in the 50s thru the 70s it was seemingly a preferred medium.

wlwhittier likes this.
  7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Enamel on copper is thin...an' the back in your case is covered as well. Mostly the back will be bare copper.

8. Spudnik

Spudnik Active Member

I took a close look at the back - there's a small chip on the edge at the back that seems to show copper. Closeup photo is attached.

And the tile is about the thickness of a Canadian quarter, if that means anything.

Back with Copper Showing.jpg

9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I'm going to guess C or G LAViGUEUR

Draft saved Draft deleted