Featured Glastonbury Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Marote, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

GC.jpg GC2.jpg
    Hi all,

I don´t expect it to be anything comparable to the one on the Antiques Roadshow :joyful: but I´m curious to know more about this chair.
    I found a few auction sites, and sites like Etsy, with similar chairs, but most had a different (or no) text, and/or a different pattern. And prices going from £42 (hammer price) to over 1000$ (wishful thinking price on certain sites?). Most dated late 19th century.
    This one seems to be in a much better condition than the majority I found online, making me think it´s fairly new. But the newer chairs I saw, didn´t have these Latin texts, and the really recent chairs were just plain wood without any engravings (and still with an asking price of a few hundred £/$/€.
    Can someone tell me more about the age and rarity of this chair?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2024
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Hi @i need help,
    Thank you for your reply. I found that information earlier, but it didn´t help me dating the chair I posted. The text mentions "These chairs are now made by local craftsmen in workshops adjoining the Abbey ...", but I couldn´t find the date of the text, so when is this "now"? If I look for modern versions that are still made, I get chairs like these https://medieval-market.com/details.php?id_towar=84
    This one is more like the one from my post https://www.etsy.com//listing/661421384/rare-vintage-antique-glastonbury-carved but has more grooves, and looks older, but it says it´s from the 1970s. Can this be correct? Were they still being made in that style in the 70s?

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Yours looks in better shape but it doesn't look like the styles changed much in the last 500 years.This is reputed to be a 16th Century version-
    GLASTON.jpg

mirana, Figtree3 and Marote like this.
  5. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

That one does indeed look great for a 500 year old chair. I am much younger and in a far worse state :p
    The style of the one I posted is identical to the drawn image, but the finishing looks too crisp to have much age, and reminds me more of 60s furniture.
    O well, 500 years old or 500 days old, it still looks great :)

mirana and Figtree3 like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just no signs of this being antique. Have to think it is a 20th century example. Could have up to 50 years of age to it but, even that, would put it into the 70s.

7. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

So, probably a little older than me .... and definitely in better shape :depressed:

Draft saved Draft deleted