Glassies - now what did I buy? Hand-blown clear decanter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by evelyb30, Jun 20, 2024.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Roughly 10 inches tall. It has a pontil mark on the bottom that's slightly indented and none too nicely polished. The stopper is original and is hollow. Both are etched with a design. Paid a whole $4 for it on the strength of bells going off in the back of my head. I think it was supposed to be $9, but the cashier asked the manager who said four and so four it was. I'm putting the rest of this over in the Finds section.

DSCF9890.JPG DSCF9892.JPG DSCF9893.JPG DSCF9894.JPG DSCF9895.JPG

wlwhittier and Rayo56 like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Is that 4,7,or 9 dollars. I usually start at 19.99$ + shipping for glass decanters with ground stoppers on eBay when I sell them - and actually do pretty well on them.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. evelyb30

That was the question. Supposed to be 9, but because the handwriting was bad it was offered to me at 7. I left it behind yesterday because it's clear glass. But... hand blown, original hollow stopper with closed bubble... Went back today and the clerk asked the manager what the price was. Four bucks. I think he just wanted it out of the store! It's a ReStore and the manger isn't into the smalls.

Rayo56 and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Edwardian by the look of it.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. evelyb30

I found something similar claiming to be 18th century French, but early 20th century British is more like it.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The stopper looks typical so does that etch. It isn’t grey enough to be earlier, I think.

7. evelyb30

That's why I left it the first time; it's clear clear, not grayish clear. Then again flint glass would give the game away.

Draft saved Draft deleted