Glassies: EAPG Stretch/Swung Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, Jul 11, 2023.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Good afternoon folks. I'm having a little difficulty pinning this EAPG vase down. I searched swung vases with panels as the motif and didn't see this one. Possibly missed it? I believe this has 12 panels that every other one is about 1" wide at the very bottom and the narrow panels are about 5/8" wide with a bump up at the bottom edge. Kind of difficult to get a good picture of it. 14 1/4" tall at highest point x 4" diameter base that is concave. Thank you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TallCakes and wlwhittier like this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've seen a lot of this style of vase, I had a Carnival glass one when I collected that, but I've never seen a clear glass one. Without a bottom mark, I have nothing. Sorry

*crs* likes this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

*crs* likes this.
  4. *crs*

5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

swung vase can be very difficult to ID, as often most of the detail is lost in the stretching process. These are typically formed from celery vase, spooners and tumblers. My first thought was one of the fluted designed like Portland but the number of panels is throwing me off. As far as motifs go, try also rib/columns, panels and flutes. Try using the EAPGS 'Advanced Search' page and select those motifs along with the different shapes; you may be able to spot something in the unswung spape...

one comparison that comes up:

31527[1].jpg

only possibility I'm coming up with is this Mayflower/Duquesne piece that would seem a challenge to stretch as it is fairly short but does seem to have the requisite panels.

EAPGS Pattern Index - UNITED STATES GLASS CO. No. 15121 MAYFLOWER/DUQUESNE (OMN)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    Bev aka thelmasstuff and *crs* like this.
  6. *crs*

Thank you Don. I'll go back and search with those parameters. Appreciate the clues.

7. *crs*

[​IMG]

Maybe this picture will help. There are 6 panels like the one on the left and 6 like the one on the right. I looked a swung vases + panels, Swung vases + ribs/columns, swung vases + flutes. Also spooners with those 3 descriptives with no luck in the advanced search of the EAPG database

Attached Files:

TallCakes likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

That one looks the most like the Fostoria above

*crs* likes this.
  9. TallCakes

that does help clarify a bit. still not finding a match tho'. not seeing anything in McCain either

*crs* likes this.
  10. *crs*

Thanks for checking Don

TallCakes likes this.
  11. *crs*

It has been suggested in the FB EAPG group that possible McKee Vulcan. Checking out the database I can see how this could be

12. TallCakes

can't see it either; here's a couple of catalog pages of McKee's Vulcan

upload_2023-7-13_19-40-12.png

upload_2023-7-13_19-40-54.png

*crs* likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted