Featured Glassies: Bohemian? Green glass bottle w/ silver overlay

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, Mar 27, 2023.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

This beauty was heavily tarnished when I found it. Found one in feebay exactly like it still heavily tarnished. They called it Bohemian but didn't mention the who. I suspect that it is Bohemian and hopefully someone here may have more info. About 9" tall x 4 1/2". Ground pontil scar. Thank you. BohemianBottle.png BohemianBottle2.png
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

a beauty!!

judy, pearlsnblume and *crs* like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Could also be Italian. It’s missing a stopper and six glasses.

judy, aaroncab, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  4. *crs*

Yep, definitely missing stopper. Glasses would be a big plus

judy, aaroncab and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very pretty and the color is so nice.

judy and *crs* like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Very nice! @*crs* Can I ask how you polished that? Just with a sunshine cloth or something? I have an overlay piece but was worried I'd damage the overlay if I tried polishing. Any tips?

judy, *crs* and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful bottle.I always thought of 'silver overlay' as actually being cut sheet sterling applied to the glass (pic below). This silver application looks to me like gilding or some form brush applied decoration.
    PS-I could reading the pics wrong & be way off-base ?
    SILVER.jpg

judy, *crs* and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

There’s two ways this is done. One is silver enamelling, the other electroform. I’d think this is a mix of the two. It’s not overlay, agreed.
    Sunshine cloth.

judy, Bakersgma, *crs* and 1 other person like this.
  9. *crs*

My go to for polishing silver is Wright's Silver Cream but this had turned grey and Wright's was taking a lot of work. I bought some Peek and it took a bit of rubbing but did a better and quicker job than Wright's

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The other version is usually called "silver deposit" on this side of the pond.

judy, Ownedbybear and *crs* like this.
  11. bosko69

CRS-Thanks for the rec re: Peek polish.

judy and *crs* like this.
  12. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Nice vase. I recently found this thingummy, which I believe to be also bohemian. It stands at 19cm tall. 20230329_172728.jpg 20230329_172734.jpg 20230329_172752.jpg 20230329_172740.jpg

judy likes this.
  13. bosko69

For such a relatively small country-Czech Bohemian Glass rules the world.I suppose other countries must've imitated it ?

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. Chinoiserie

Undoubtedly.

15. Ownedbybear

The blue thingummy might be Italian with the colour and that sort of cross hatch.

Glass is copied or derived all over, that’s why it’s a right sod to identify!

*crs* and Chinoiserie like this.
  16. Chinoiserie

Okay thank you. It may well be.

Draft saved Draft deleted