Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lisa, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

I have this glass vase I'd like to get more information about. On the bottom is etched something but I'm not sure what it says. It appears to read "Bell audu". It measures approximetely 7" tall by 5" wide. In my opinion it's rather heavy; weighing about 4 pounds. Any information is appreciated. Thank you! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Interesting. It looks Scandinavian: if I'd not seen that signature, I'd think Orrefors or Strombergshyttan.

Lisa likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Bellander?

Lisa likes this.
  4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This glass looks Scandinavian to me and from the latter half of the 20th century. The signature looks like Kjell somebody. I can think of Kjell Engman of Kosta Boda but the last name doesn't look similar. I like how the waving girl is on one side of the vase and the ship she's waving at is on the other side. Very clever.

Lisa likes this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Yes, it is Scandinavian, and, I believe, it appears to be Kjellander.

The info below is from
    http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=54160.0 :

Lars Kjellander, born 1799, was the first Swedish born glass engraver and came to Kosta Glasbruk from Cedersbergs Glasswork in 1825. Previously all engravers came from Germany.

His son Erik 1830-1916 was a man with many qualifications and ideas. He became master-engraver and foreman in Kosta Glassworks. His four sons were also engaged there and they became skilled engravers, but unfortunately, three passed away at young age.

Lars Johan Kjellander 1868-1931, began life at Kosta as an apprentice to his father, Erik at the age of 15 and soon became a clever artist and skilled engraver and later manager of the engraving workshop, known as Kjellandrarnas Verkstad (= Workshop.) His work was displayed in many exhibitions, Paris, Turin, Karlsruhe, St.Petersburg and of course in Stockholm. At the Art-Industrial Exhibition in Stockholm 1909, he demonstrated the art of engraving and of cutting glass.

In spite of the war 1914-1918, Kosta continued to export glassware to U.S.A. Much of it was the design and work of Lars Kjellander. A lot of the items exported were the beautiful wine-glasses he engraved while working at Kosta.

Lars seldom signed his work, and if he did, it was simply marked LK.

In 1924, Lars and his two sons, Åke, 1903-1989 and Nils, 1907-1991 decided to start their own business and they opened a work-shop in Vetlanda. From 1925 engraved crystal from the Kjellanders in Vetlanda was soon in great demand in many parts of the world, vases bowls. wine-glasses etc.

Åke and Nils ,the fourth generation of the family of glass-engravers, continued their work until 1983.

(I believe that your vase is most likely the work of the 4th generation.)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Lisa, dgbjwc, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  6. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

WOW!!! Very insightful!!! Thank you so much for the information!!!! :)
    This group is amazing. So much valuable knowledge within this group. Thank you!

7. Lisa

Lisa Active Member

ola402, this was a gift from my grandfather to my mother when she was a young girl. Given to her before one of his leaves off to sea during a mission in the military. She told me it always made her think of her father; waving goodbye to Daddy but knowing he would always come back. For sure a valuable piece to me in a way that only memories can bring :)

dgbjwc and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

NIce detective work, people.

Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted