Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jeff972, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Jeff972

Jeff972 New Member

image_123986672.JPG vase 2.JPG vase.JPG Hello Everybody. I'm just packing my things up after my divorce, and found a glass vase my grandmother gave me for a wedding gift. I figure its time to get rid of it. I have no idea where to start, because it doesn't seem like the smartest move to sale it to someone who is also giving the appraisal. I have a note saying the typical stuff. Its old and valuable lol. Maybe someone can help me out, and at least tell me if I have a paperweight or something with a little value.

vase 2.JPG

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome. Sorry to hear about the demise of your marriage. Others will come by who know glass.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Jeff! :)
    Sorry about the circumstances. Glass peolple May ask for other photos, so check on your post. Always check Full size all images, first box. ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    bobsyouruncle and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Won't comment on the breakup - you might be throwing a Whoopee party:sorry:

As for the vase. I'm sorry, I do not think it is old cut glass. Did you get married in the 1990s? I think that is when it dates from.

Maybe a different picture of the vase will tell a different story. Post it upright, with a piece of white paper inside so we can see the pattern better.

5. Jeff972

Jeff972 New Member

thanks lol. Apperantly it belonged to my great grandmother. Im told in the note from my grandmother its been in the family for over 100 years, but i understand how these stories can get out of hand. I'll get another picture and see if you feel any differently. Thank you

bobsyouruncle and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I agree with cluttered - I'm not getting a feeling of age from it. Mid-century at the earliest.

I know the circumstances aren't the best but if your grandmother gave it to you you might want to hold onto it. The few pieces I have from my grandparents I treasure now that they're gone.
    Don

7. Jeff972

Jeff972 New Member

8. clutteredcloset49

As we get older, we tend to mix things up. What we thought was one thing turns out to be another.
    Is there any chance there was another vase and the person you are breaking up with switched the note? Sorry to sound callous, but these things happen.

From what I am seeing, it looks like a contemporary vase from Eastern Europe. I would say 1980/90s or later.

This is what 100 year old cut glass vases should look like. Did you ever see anything like these?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Ame...UK0KHRXxDlgQ_AUIDygC&biw=1318&bih=899#imgrc=_

judy and i need help like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

That's the exact same thing I was thinking as well. The base and the cutting say 1980s to me.

10. Jeff972

Jeff972 New Member

Thank you guys for your responses. I'm just a little confused on how my great grandmother had it. I guess I'll just hold on to it.

judy likes this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

12. Jeff972

Jeff972 New Member

no we didn't have another one. I guess there was some sort of miscommunication between my great grandmother and grandmother. Thank you everyone for your help.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted