Featured Glass Trophy Vase with Applied Handles - Czech?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Apr 23, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies - as I promised on the General Discussion thread I'm asking for help on some of the items I picked up at auction last weekend. This first vase stands about 7 1/4" tall and is eight sided. I'm not sure how to describe the color - maybe mosaic? I think it's actually three layers: a white inner layer, then a multicolored layer, and then a final clear layer. My best guess is Czech but I'm not at all sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20190423_114741694.jpg IMG_20190423_114749655.jpg IMG_20190423_114809481.jpg IMG_20190423_114759392.jpg IMG_20190423_114817172.jpg IMG_20190423_114823761.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

My first thought as I was looking was Czech as well.
    Spangled?

However, the two air bubbles are disturbing. Don't usually see bubbles in Czech glass.
    upload_2019-4-23_9-28-21.png

Also the handles aren't what I would have expected. Not enough bumping/rigaree. (Not doing well with words this morning)

3. clutteredcloset49

Should add those are only my first impressions.
    My head is rather cloudy from all the pollens here.

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

yes to Welz trophy vase, spatter glass:)

aaroncab, pearlsnblume, Pat P and 4 others like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean, cluttered. The pollen has me a bit foggy too. And the lilacs are in full bloom which doesn't help. But there are definitely bubbles in the base. You spotted the largest two but there are bubbles throughout the vase visible from almost any angle. The handles are not very well formed. Artistic effect?

Thank you cxgirl! Much appreciated.
    Don

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

here is mine, 5"h, confirmed by Craig, along with a bunch of other spatter glass pieces I have:) s-l1600-1.jpg

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you again. I have just been approved for the Facebook page so will post there shortly.
    Don

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's absolutely Welz, typical colour and shape.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Confirmed very quickly on the Facebook page. Welz Harlequin.
    Don

Cherryhill, aaroncab, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

Glad @cxgirl saw this.
    Good call.

Yes, tree pollen here is Horrible. My navy blue car is yellow. Lilacs are in bloom as well as all the fruit/nut trees.
    Worst season we've had in years. Has to be from all the rains.

dgbjwc and cxgirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted