Featured Glass - Tall Amberina Compote

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Dec 28, 2021.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays. I would like to request identification assistance on this amberina compote. It stands 8 1/4" tall, 6 7/8" across the top, and 3 3/8" across the base. There are two mold lines which are barely visible. I tried chataboutdg.com and did an image search but can't seem to turn anything up. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    Don

IMG_20211228_145020923.jpg IMG_20211228_145029985.jpg IMG_20211228_145037412.jpg IMG_20211228_145042872.jpg IMG_20211228_145054923.jpg

Hi2022, Figtree3, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Hi Don, I believe that is Tiffin. Somewhat similar to the one I have in satin but yours is taller than mine [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Hi2022, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi crs - thank you for your response. I saw the Tiffin piece on chataboutdg but the stem bulges at the top like a reverse teardrop whereas mine bulges at the bottom. (Hope that makes sense). It's possible they changed the shape for the taller compote, though, so I'll go through my Tiffin books just to be sure. I appreciate the lead.

Hi2022, judy, KikoBlueEyes and 3 others like this.
  4. *crs*

Good luck!!

Hi2022, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I think this piece was made by Consolidated Glass. Let me check my book and get back with you.

Edit: Scratch that, I meant to say Co-Operative Flint Glass Co. I think they called the color Sunset, although it looks like a Tequila Sunrise to me. Their No. 452 Footed Bowl or Compote.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Hi2022, dgbjwc, *crs* and 4 others like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like Coop Flint's Sunset, the amber on OP's piece is in the center, not the top and bottom, JMHO :)

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I appreciate the lead, ola402. I went back to chataboutdg and looked at all the Co-operative Flint examples but I couldn't find one with a ball at the base of the stem. I then searched for Co-operative Flint compotes on google and tripped over this unsold listing. The colors on mine aren't frosted like Sunset would be but the shape appears similar. Wish I could see the stem a little clearer and that it was identified in the listing. And, as Marie noted, the colors aren't distributed as Sunset would be. I'm going to keep searching.

Hi2022, *crs* and judy like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Don, I took a much closer look at your photos this morning (after coffee) and I'm now with @*crs* in that it looks like a Tiffin product. I'm attaching 2 photos. One is of this shape in blue satin and the other is of 2 perfumes in amberina bright finish. Tiffin made a lot of satin glass but they also made a lot of colored clear as well. The thing that sent me to my Tiffin book is the bottom of the compote bowl, there's a kind of disc shape there that appears on most of the stemmed Tiffin products I've handled.

The Compote on the left is the same shape as yours. Tiffin made these in different heights, sizes and colors both satin and bright finish.

DSCF8793.jpeg

This photo shows the Amberina clear color of your compote. It was one of those colors that showed a lot of variation depending on the shape.

DSCF8794.jpeg

I hope this helps!

bercrystal, Hi2022 and *crs* like this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It helps tremendously! Thank you very much!
    Don

bercrystal, Hi2022 and *crs* like this.
  11. *crs*

I have that twist stem compote also Pam and a vase that I assume to be Tiffin due to the same treatment and colors....Carl[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wow! Those are really nice! Are those keepers? I would keep them and Don's compote as well. The amberina color is Compelling! Your vase looks like a Tequila Sunrise which I like to drink when I was much younger. Now I can't drink at all unless I want a nap, LOL! And yes, your 2 pieces are definitely Tiffin. They are both pictured in my Tiffin book.

*crs* likes this.
  13. *crs*

Actually they are listed on feebay. Already sold the first one up top.

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

All the Coop Flint Sunset I've seen (I have several pieces) is not frosted. I don't know if they made it or not, just I haven't seen any :)

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Neither have I.

Draft saved Draft deleted