Featured Glass: Should I buy?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Aug 23, 2024.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I know this is a pretty good buy on this Tiffin pitcher. However, how easily does something like this sell? Obviously, it has sat in the shop without a buyer for awhile. Think I could double my money on eBay?

20240822_161841~2.jpg

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Something somewhat similar sold for $65 back in April on ebay. Factor in fees and what you'd need to pack it up so it won't break, and see if it's worth it to you.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I just dont know with glass anymore. I see cut glass,blown glass,pressed glass etc all day long in thrifts . I dont allow myself to buy any because the boxes of glass I divested myself of when we moved still haunts me ! But ebay certainly will expose you to a broader audience. Chime in fellow boardies ! is glass still worth dealing with ?

verybrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I sell a lot of Fenton. Figurines, vases, bowls, baskets, shoes. I recently sold a Hazel Atlas pitcher and 6 tumblers "Colonial Honeycomb" that I believe was from the 50's. L.E. Smith, Blenko, Viking, Fostoria, Waterford. Crackle glass. Hens-on-nests. This is from my sales reports at 1 mall in the last 2 months. At the other 2 malls, I sell a little glass, more Corningware, Pyrex, baskets and linens. I really think you have to know your market. I don't take any enamelware or rustic decor to the first place, it does best at another place. It helps to have a great venue with a good manager. The one at the first mall posts photos on Facebook every day, either "dealer of the day" or a selection of new seasonal things or even just "deal of the day". She will pack and ship things purchased over the phone. I do my best there, it's 85 miles from home but it's worth it. The other 2 are closer, one has sales around 1/2 to 3/4 of the best. The other comes in a distant third and I am downsizing there this month and may be discontinuing by the end of the year or sometime early next spring. I've been there 12 years and it will be hard to leave.

I love quality glass and I do well with it. Good luck with that beautiful pitcher @verybrad If I stumbled on it, I'd probably buy it, but I'd see if the vendor would take a little less first.

Linda

5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Glass is one of those things that I wonder if it doesn't always do better in a mall/shop than online. I don't really know--it's a genuine question. In person, you can really see glass perform in the light. No big shipping fees or broken in transit. I have picked up some pieces lately, but haven't listed yet. I always stayed away before because it seemed a hassle.

It's a very pretty piece though, Brad. You'd know the market better than I, but at least I can see a nice piece of glass when I'm looking at it. :D

verybrad and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here, but then I don't trust the USPS with fragile stuff. You have to pack to withstand a nuclear attack, and the margins aren't there unless you have a good audience. It's safer sold in person. If the buyer breaks it on the way home, it's a crying shame but their problem. If UPS/USPS breaks it, the seller is on the hook.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, fall is party time.........would be nice for thanksgiving...

verybrad, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have a different kind of pitcher, it may be Culver that I just can not bring myself to sell because the chances of the handle breaking off in transit gives me the willies.
    Not sure if you could double your money since I don't deal in that kind of glass.
    It is very pretty.

I also have stopped buying many glass items because tastes change so quickly that what is hot today is not tomorrow.

Nonetheless, it has a lovely shape and colors. . I would see if you could get the price down some and put it on your shop to buy directly.

verybrad and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The glass that tends to sell well at auction house that I work at are: paperweights, Fenton (especially figurals), certain lines of Pyrex and Corningware, signed stemware (Baccarat, Waterford, etc.), anything that glows like vaseline or uranium glass, and some very tall color vases (LE Smith, Viking, etc.). Mid-century is alive (barely) but far from a sure thing as far as resale. The pitcher above would most likely fall under Elegant Glassware but it's outside an established pattern and Elegant is not a strong category right now.

I only buy to list on eBay if I can get it cheap enough to undercut the competition. It's a bit cut throat out there in glass right now. There are just not enough buyers chasing too many pieces. Only bargains seem to attract much interest. The Tiffin we come across here doesn't tend to sell well (exceptions are watermelon glass and vaseline). We usually see stems which are a bear to sell and even more of a bear to ship. I'm not sure Tiffin is a name that carries collectible value solely because of the manufacturer so this pitcher will have to stand on its own merits as a decorative item.

I love that pitcher but would probably pass. I'd need to at least double the price to make any kind of profit taking into account fees and the time it takes me to research, photo, and pack. I'd have to double box the base and the lid separately which would take extra time. It would look lovely in my mall showcases but it would be a slow seller. And again, I like to double my money and can't do that on this piece in this market. I find the only way I can make money is when I can spot the severely undervalued. The pitcher is a currently a bargain but I don't think it would make a good investment. You would always be able to make your $25 back but not much more to be worth it. JMO

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comments. Pretty much as I thought. Just at a price point where, while it is relatively cheap, it is not cheap enough to make this a surefire resale purchase for ebay. Kind of a shame, as it is a striking piece that someone should want. I am used to paying much less for glassware in the thrift stores and usually don't buy unless I think I can make at least a 3X mark up. Quite often, I can do much more.

If selling locally, I would be in the same shop where this is listed for sale. I have begun to place items there on consignment since I no longer wish to have a booth. The owner has given me a great rate of 20% and I have done pretty well there. I have sold a fair amount of glass if I can price it at off-market rates. Colored glass has done better than clear, though I have sold several sets of glassware. MCM glass has not done as well as old and I have never been able to sell Blenko there unless just dirt cheap.

Just had a bit of a surprise. Yesterday, I took in that Tiffin Fuchsia vase I posted the other day in the finds thread. Priced it relatively cheap at $28.00 (I only had $4.00 in it). It sold before the end of the day. I really expected it to be a bit of a hard sell. You just never know.

Every local market is different but ebay gives you access to a wider market. I am not afraid to pack and ship glass if the price point is such that it is worthwhile. I am not currently selling on ebay but will most assuredly return at some point. If I had bought this, it would just go into the hoard for now. I will continue to search for buys at pennies on the dollar.

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Tiffin...just goes to show you never can tell. Someone walked in needing a vase, and there it sat.

I bought clear glass today myself...a Baccarat vase, signed. What I'll do with it...into the hoard probably, but at 0.5% of retail max I figure it was worth it. Still not shipping it.

mirana, dgbjwc, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have one listed on eBay right now. It's got handpainted flowers and an applied silver rim. No cover though. Listed it for $39.99 based on similar sales, but I'd take any reasonable offer. Mine is very dated - 1930s - but that one is very modern looking so it has more appeal

verybrad, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted