Featured Glass Question - Eyewinker Compote - LG Wright or EAPG?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Mar 25, 2022.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello my board friends - for transparency I should say I currently have this piece for sale on an on-line auction site and a customer has asked me if this is an LG Wright piece. I told him I doubted it was but would ask my friends. The compote stands 10 1/2" tall and 6" across the top. The LG Wright book I have states that the tallest covered compote they commissioned was 5". My book states that the molds were most likely made by Albert Botson's B. Machine and Mould Company in Cambridge, Ohio if that is any help.

So is it EAPG instead? The EAPG pattern is Genoese but I can't find any record it was made in color. I'm confused. If more pictures are needed just let me know. Thank you for your assistance.
    Don

IMG_20220325_173013043.jpg

LauraGarnet02, KSW and TallCakes like this.
  2. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I know that Mosser made many eyewinker items. I'm fairly certain mine is Mosser. Perhaps this is one? I don't know if the foot of yours is the tell or not MosserEyewinker.png

judy, pearlsnblume, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think yours might be LG Wright, crs. If you have Measell and Roettels' book check illustration #1620 on pg. 152. Is it 5"?

judy, *crs*, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

my understanding is the original Genoese was only made in crystal. Mosser is still producing their 'Eye Winker' pattern in various forms and has as online catalog. Price Guide to Pattern Glass only lists an open compote with scalloped edge in the original pattern; tho' EAPGS does have a covered compote example that does not have the plain band rim above the 'eye' motif.

might check "R" to see what they list:
    Search: eyewinker | Replacements, Ltd.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    judy, pearlsnblume, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Your compote has the clear band above the balls, as the reproduction pieces illustrated have. Sorry, it's a repro. Dalzell, Gilmore and Leighton made only crystal pieces in this pattern. The basic color period in EAPG was 1884-6, very little color was made outside this period.

dgbjwc, judy, *crs* and 4 others like this.
  6. *crs*

Yes, it is 5". Unfortunately I do not. Is there a way to tell the difference between Wright & Mosser?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    dgbjwc, TallCakes and judy like this.
  7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

if I'm correctly interpreting the distribution of Wright's molds, a 6" compote and cover went to Mosser; thus, anything made my Mosser would likely not be distinguished from Wright production.

Molds of L.G. Wright: (realorrepro.com)

*crs* and dgbjwc like this.
  8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for your assistance. I followed TallCakes suggestion and viewed the current Mosser catalog and while they don't show an amber they do show an Eyewinker covered compote this size (10 1/2") in other colors. I'm going to assume if I could research the older Mosser catalogs I would find the amber.

I passed what information I could onto my potential customer. They were looking for a gift for a friend and, with the information I provided, realized they were looking for the smaller open compote similar to the picture *crs* showed. They were actually quite gracious in their response. So while I didn't end up with a sale both I and the customer have a much better understanding of the Eyewinker and Genoese patterns. And I'm changing my listing to Mosser. My best to you all and hope Spring has arrived wherever you are.
    Don

9. *crs*

Even though these may be Wright they could still be Mosser. Oh what a tangled web we weave.
    "Although it owned the molds, the Wright company never mixed glass or pressed any glass. Molds were jobbed out for the actual working to a variety of glass factories including Fenton, Mosser, Westmoreland, Gibson, Summit, Viking and others."

bercrystal likes this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. I wouldn't even guess at a jobber for LG Wright glass but there are books out that identify at least some of the glass Fenton made for them. I use Fenton Glass Made for Other Companies by the Domitz's.

*crs* and bercrystal like this.
  11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

West Virginia Museum of American Glass has a monograph detailing what manufacturer made many of the LG Wright wares. Wright kept records, I organized them into a Monograph.

dgbjwc and *crs* like this.
  12. *crs*

Good to know. I'm going have to take a look at that Tom
    Carl

Draft saved Draft deleted