Featured Glass Light Bulb Identification Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chevellet, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Chevellet

Chevellet Member

I work in an historic house museum and have a current project gathering information on a couple of light bulbs used in the home. Unfortunately, I also need to replace them, but that might be a whole different project in itself.

In case it helps, the home was built in 1906 and was remodeled in 1924. A majority of the furnishings and fixtures date to the 1924 remodel. I have also included pictures of the ceiling fixture in the home that houses the light bulbs.

The bulb looks to have been painted a peach color in a gradient with the paint fading towards the top of the globe. In some places the paint has chipped or faded. This is a regular Edison socket and one of the pictures shows the internal workings of the bulb. There are no markings to show wattage, volts or part #s. The measurements are 3" diameter and about 4" tall, including the metal screw.

If anyone has information on these bulbs and would like to share, it would be Oh so helpful to me because I need to accession each piece of the collection. If anyone has information on replacements that would also be of great use. We have a total of 10 in the fixtures and need at least 6 replacements. My biggest fear would be putting too high of volt or watt in the fixture and either damaging it or getting too bright of light output for the room.

Thanks so much for your help.

Chevelle

1-IMG_0123.JPG 1-IMG_0124.JPG 1-IMG_0125.JPG 1-IMG_0121.JPG 1-IMG_0122.JPG

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

That is cleaning wear. They were originally covered evenly. I sold some new old stock Mazda ones a while back. They didn't sell for much on feebay. Probably 40-60 watts. The Chinese are making all kinds of old style bulbs cheap.

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

They would be a standard 120 volt bulb (anything rated 110 volt - 130 volt would be fine)

I have lamps similar on my bathroom vanity. 120 volt 40 watt

5. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I'd buy modern and spray paint the glass. The color is called peach.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For the paint, I found this out years ago, you might do well to get hold of ...nail polish. I kid you not. I used to hand paint small bulbs for my dad's model trains and regular paint wouldn't hold up. The nail polish worked just fine. I'm not sure if a higher temperature from a higher wattage bulb would be different or if it would be too much of a pain for pieces this size. You'd have to experiment if you decide to go that route.

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

You could try calling the Edison museum in W Orange, NJ for help too.

cxgirl, lloyd249, Chevellet and 2 others like this.
  9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

What are those three squiggly green lights floating around the ceiling in the first picture?

Is it some kind of prism effect from the green glass bowl on the table in front of the window?
    green-squiggly-lights.JPG

cxgirl, lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  10. Chevellet

Chevellet Member

Funny that you should ask. I noticed that when I posted the picture, so I went back into the house to see if I could duplicate it. We sure don't want people thinking that they are "mysterious orbs" and start with unfounded rumors. LOL

Sure enough, they appeared each time I took the pic. I took the original pic with my phone, so I switched and took one with my ipad and couldn't duplicate it. I took the pic again with my phone, but took the case off and problem solved. Apparently, there was enough of a lip on my case that reflected back into the camera lens. We were a little disappointed, but at least we have an explanation.

lauragarnet, cxgirl, lloyd249 and 4 others like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Too bad? No haunted house TV film crews coming through and generating free publicity.

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Haunted would have been fun!!!!! Looks like a neat house!!!

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  13. lauragarnet

OH! I hadn't thought of the spooky angle. I was fixated on the green glass dish. :joyful:

KingofThings likes this.
  14. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  15. lauragarnet

KingofThings likes this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'll bet Mazda is happy those are not sold anymore..:hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings