Featured Glass..Dessert Set? Who, When?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sarajayne, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Sarajayne

Sarajayne Well-Known Member

GrnSet3.jpg GrnSet4.jpg I have figured out some of my Antiques by searching online. Cannot find this anywhere. The decoration looks black in the pics but is gorgeous shiny Gold. The large piece stands 7" tall and 5 1/2" across the mouth. The small pieces stand 4 1/2" tall and 3 3/4" across. Pics were taken years ago and not very good.

GrnSet1.jpg

GrnSet8.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's probably Italian with a view of Venice. So maybe Venetian glass.

3. Sarajayne

I never thought of that, I bet you are right, thank you.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had this green glass vase with very similar treatment. I made a Venetian glass attribution in the description but without anything to confirm that. Just seems possible. To take the bottom pictures, I filled it with milk.

GreenVenetianGlassVaseSilverOverlayStMarksFlowersRibbons-b.jpg

GreenVenetianGlassVaseSilverOverlayStMarksFlowersRibbons-c.jpg
    GreenVenetianGlassVaseSilverOverlayStMarksFlowersRibbons-d.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Sarajayne

Thank you moreotherstuff for going to all that trouble to show me your vase! Do you know the age of your vase?

6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sadly, I had no info at all on that vase. An idle guess would be '30s to '50s. Not much help there.

8. Sarajayne

Thank you Susan! From looking at your pics I believe you were speaking of the Vase?

9. eki

eki New Member

Just comment :).....when looked that "San Giorgio Maggiore" photo...that in the vase and also that first photo´s bowl, where is glasses..........that minaneth is higher in both cases, than the pic of San Giorgio Maggiore nowadays ? But why not possible, that artists has used his/her freedom to paint higher minareth....but looks to my eye, that they dont match - versus paintings in glasses+vase>>> and real photo, if Maggiore photo should discribe same place. / Just came to my mind...i dont know nothing about those things or places...even visited there once. :)

10. Ladybranch

Both. That belltower, common with most large churches back then, does look a little disportional between the 2 glasses, but believe that is due to the shape of the glass. The view of San Giorgio Maggiore on your glass is shown from a different angle. It is viewing the church from the right side. As the belltower is actually further back, the tower would be to the right side of the dome. Your view s similar to the following:
    http://vevesworld.com/photo/places/church-of-san-giorgio-maggiore/06/

Other views:
    http://vevesworld.com/church-of-san-giorgio-maggiore.html

--- Susan

11. eki

eki New Member

I looked now again those classes and "bowl" or what it is...and too late saw that gondola there in front...so "must" be Venice. Ok.

12. Ladybranch

Draft saved Draft deleted