Glass bottle / vase question(s)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Sep 12, 2015.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Hello, again!

Is this enameled piece of thin opal glass what is considered "Bristol Glass"?
    Height about 7"
    pontil scar that feels somewhat ground down
    Not exactly certain what it is .... the inside of the very narrow neck seems to be ground as if for a stopper ... which makes me think cologne or barber bottle ... but the bottom isn't numbered (to match up with its stopper) ... odd?

Thanks for looking! :)

P1080215.JPG
    P1080216.JPG
    P1080218.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If the stopper is numbered, check inside the mouth of the bottle for its counterpart. A cruet? Looks like the enamels were a little over-fired. It's an attractive piece.

KingofThings and quirkygirl like this.
  3. quirkygirl

Thanks, more....
    no stopper ... and no number either painted nor etched - on the base or inside the neck ... which made me wonder if it ever had a stopper (would look great with one, though)
    would over-firing cause those little bubbles? They are only on a few of the leaves or berries.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Not all bottle/stopper combinations were numbered, You can't assume that the lack of a number indicates no stopper.

Either over firing, or improperly prepared enamel, but not up to standard in any case, should not have blistered.

It resembles what used to be called "Bristol" glass, but that is no longer accepted as a type of glass. Call it opalescent. Your piece is very probably 'bohemian', from the second quarter of the 20th century.

5. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

It's probably an English Bristol glass vase.

6. quirkygirl

Thank you, Cherryhill.

"Bristol" glass seems to be controversial ... I was hesitant to call it that ... but wasn't sure.

I imagine an elongated bulbous stopper would look right at home on this piece :)

KingofThings likes this.
  7. quirkygirl

Thanks, fenton.

I'm going to let you and Cherryhill duke that one out ;)

Maybe an explanation of what is and what isn't "Bristol Glass" would help clear it up ... a Google search of the term just confused the matter even more.

dgbjwc, KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  8. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Happens to me all the time :eek::shame:

quirkygirl, dgbjwc and gregsglass like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's Bristol glass if it's made in Bristol.

quirkygirl likes this.
  10. quirkygirl

I found a 4 page lively discussion, spanning about 6 years, on the term "Bristol Glass" Here

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19949.0.html

Does it clear up the proper use of the term? yeah, sure it does :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I certainly won't lead off with that term ... but am tempted to say "sometimes referred to as ...." simply because so many people still use this name to identify this opaque, enameled glass.

Pat P and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's reasonable. ;)

yourturntoloveit and quirkygirl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted