Glass ball and claw parlor table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ncstagger, Jan 29, 2021.

1. ncstagger

ncstagger New Member

C2F500B5-6E56-4C90-AF54-1CB817302BEC.jpeg C15431CA-6FAB-447E-8D51-8834F6B491FF.jpeg FBBF32E4-B277-46E7-B9FB-1E42A738C48F.jpeg 2C914305-58B9-4437-A3F2-F3D3BC3EA657.jpeg This table has been in our family now for several generations. I recently inherited it and am having difficulty identifying it. It was owned originally by my grandmother in Texas. I cannot find any markings. The odd thing about it is the glass ball and claw feet. The ball is held in what appears to be an eagles open mouth rather than a claw or talon like all of the ones i can find elsewhere. Has anyone seen one like this? Would love to know more about it! Thanks

judy and komokwa like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    You usually see these on piano stool pieces. They were made to keep the iron from staining carpet when damp. It is wonderful to see them make them. They heat up the foot until it was red hot and slightly malleable, insert the glass ball and when they cool down the glass ball is held tight.
    greg

3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Greg That is a fascinating piece of information. I'm so glad you are back.

komokwa and judy like this.
  4. ncstagger

ncstagger New Member

very interesting thanks

I do see a lot of piano stools/benches with these glass ball feet, as well as lamp/parlor tables. Still have never seen another one with this eagles mouth style though. Almost everything I find is a talon or claw. Any idea on age or origin?

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. i need help

7. ncstagger

ncstagger New Member

Wow almost identical table. Thanks. But again different feet.

8. i need help

9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd think quarter-sawn oak, late Victorian about 1900 as far as that goes. It will be almost impossible to find the manufacturer, unless you've got a tag, stamp, or receipt somewhere, and it sounds like you don't. There were hundreds of furniture makers across the country back then, and most of them did not label their work.

I don't think I've seen the glass balls held in eagle's beaks before, but it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. Some companies liked to have a trademark motif to make their furniture more easily recognizable, and perhaps that's yours.

You've got a great family heirloom, one to be proud of. Love it!

komokwa, ncstagger and gregsglass like this.
  10. ncstagger

ncstagger New Member

Thanks. Agree with your assessment. I guess the feet will be an enduring mystery! I have so many great memories of this table in both my grandparents and my parents homes. Could never part with it.

komokwa likes this.
  11. i need help

12. ncstagger

ncstagger New Member

That’s it! The only other example i’ve ever seen. Unfortunately they don’t seem to know much about it either.
    Thanks for finding this :)

komokwa and i need help like this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My daughter has this same table, but hers has the eagle claws. I have seen photos of it in my great-aunt's house as early as 1904. It's just always been in the family. I think the fact that yours has the eagle head is very cool.

ncstagger and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted