Glass: Avocado Frosted Stems

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ladybranch, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Any ideas as to maker of these avocado frosted goblets (6 3/8" tall) and sherbets (4 1/4")? The tops flare out especially of the sherbet/fruit. The glass is a bit thinner than appears. The inside is shiner then the exterior. They date from the 1960s. I have hunted for years now without any luck. I have seen similar frosted avocado color stems called "Green Blendo" created by West Virginia Glass Specialty, but definitely different. Green Blendo have clear top halves.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/173187881/set-of-8-frosted-green-blendo-cordial?ref=market

Then there are these now on eBay, but not the same. The lip, etc... different:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-6-VI...E-WATER-GLASS-GOBLET-6-3-8-11oz-/181430141823

The closest I can find is this compote (?), but it has a twisted stem. Of course as usual the seller doesn't know the maker of anything I'm interested in knowing. :(
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Avo...Tall-Pedestal-Stem-Compote-Bowl-/360660887095

--- Susan

GreenFrostedStemsTilt.jpg

Attached Files:

2. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Hijack! :clown:

Note in that listing......"Pet and Smoke Fee Environment" Don't ya just love when they say that?

In this case, if not said, it means to me - "We used to have 2. The other was used as an ashtray, and then the dog broke it".

dgbjwc likes this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

4. Ladybranch

Thank you, TallCakes, you found some blue ones. I searched "R," but concentrated on green and avocado. As to manufacturer being unknown, that is par for things of interest to me.

>" 'Pet and Smoke Fee Environment' ... ashtray, and then the dog broke it".<

LOL! Like it makes a big difference with glass if there is pet dandruff and smoke in the air. I guess it would if one didn't wash their dishes. puke-a.gif It amazes me that more and more sales are including this statement even on impermeable material like glass and pottery. I suppose if they were selling cast iron it would be used also.

--- Susan

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

With cast iron it might matter; cast iron absorbs stuff. I put actual pictures of my cats in some auctions - answers the question before they ask it.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Susan -
    Probably doesn't matter about the item itself, particularly glass.

However, a lot of things I bought over the years were packed in recycled paper. Some of it not so very clean. The packing materials sometimes reeked of cig smoke.

Cat and dog fur gets into all kinds of things, and for some people it doesn't take much to set off an allergic reaction.

Just saying.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That goes double for the tobacco. I'm not technically allergic, but the smell makes me nauseous. Musty basement smell can be a problem too. It's safer if everything's clean.

8. TallCakes

ran across Carlo Moretti Santinato recently which looks like a match to this one. They are made in various satin/frosted finish colors.

9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I saw a complaint the other day for a glass ashtray "smells like stale cigarettes" I wonder how the buyer thought it had been used?

10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Back in June of 2014, I sold 12 of these goblets for $140 which had stickers on them for Rosenthal-Netter. I researched them at that time and found that they were made by Carlo Moretti for Rosenthal Netter in the early 1960s.

Attached Files:

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

12. TallCakes

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Don, Those red goblets look like the color is fired on. Is that what you see too?

14. TallCakes

that was my first thought too. I found some similarities to WVG Blendo but haven't found anything definitive on the ones in that eBay auction; other than several miss attributed as Satinato...

15. Ladybranch

> Carlo Moretti for Rosenthal Netter <

What a surprise! Earlier today did look at a few threads of interest to me of late, but didn't look through out all the forums. Just a few minutes ago did a search of the latest postings. Lo and behold up came these postings! I had given up on ever knowing the origin of these stems. Don & Ola, you folks are wonderful. Thank you, thank you! I have 12 goblets and 9 sherbets. They are really too many for me today, but at the moment haven't any thought of selling.

--- Susan

16. Ladybranch

Draft saved Draft deleted